AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I have not played with Lexicon's ambiance extraction circuitry in many years but the answer is it is similar. In the original CP1 they had a 6 speaker setup, fronts, rears and 2 just in front and at your sides toed in to the listening position. It was very much like ambisonics. I have no idea if these modes are still available since the advent of Logic 7 so someone else who deals with Lexicon more than I will have to help. Many audiophiles liked the original CP1. However, if they are referring to the Logic 7 surround mode I would not think it approximates ambisonics but it is more like Dolby Pro Logic II. You may prefer the way it sounds to Pro Logic II but it is not really an ambiance extraction circuit as much as a psudo 5.1 channel simulator.

Alan

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Ambiophonics utilizes both ambience extraction and ambience generation.

I don't know of any single HT processor that offers both simultaneously.

You can achieve something of the same effect by using two Lexicon processors. They provide excellent ambience extraction (quite a few permutations of it) and ambience generation.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
audiblesolutions,

Ambiophonics and Ambisonics are two different animal.

Ambisonics is a surround format (which require that all of your speakers be placed in a symmetrical way around you ie. if you have 5 speakers, they shound be in a pentagon placements, and if you have 6 speakres, then hexagon, and so on...) , while Ambiophnics is more of a method to get quality stereo reproduction, out of existing material, utilizing a pretty unique speaker placement.

Buzz,
Quote:
Ambiophonics utilizes both ambience extraction and ambience generation
I'm not quite sure it's accurate. What Ambiophonics practically does is this:

First it duplicates the original stereo signal, to all the surround channels. Then, it convolve the surround channels, with an Impulse Response, which was recorded at several spots in a certain room (which its first 40ms were cut off, in order to remove the direct sound and first reflections, which are reproduced by the front Ambiopoles/stereo dipole speakers). Each channel in the surround array, gets a unique Impulse Response, which represents the location of your speaker, in the original room that the IRs were taken (of course, the more IRs you have of that room, the better. If you don't have an IR which represents exactly the place of one of the speakers in your room, you can interpolate it from two close available IRs).

So at the end, there isn't exactly an extraction here. It's more of a natural generation...

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
You're right, I grossly oversimplified that. Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.