AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a htpc with a radeon, zoomplayer, powerstrip.

what new things are coming out to give me

better dvd playback?

WHAT ABOUT THE NEW MATROX?

WHAT ABOUT COMPONENT OUT FROM ATI?

WHAT ABOUT "SAGE CHIP" TYPE 3/2 DECODING?

WHAT ABOUT HI DEF FROM AN ATI AIW 8500?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Get a HiPix or some other HD tuner card.

Whole new catagories of problems to track down, struggle with and eventually defeat. The best excuse to install huge amounts of hard disk space in your system (recordings suck up 8 gigabytes an hour!) Your friends will look on in awe and fear as you casually mention that you have 4 160-gig hard disks configured as a RAID in your "home" PC.

And (assuming there are digital broadcasters in your area) the image quality will blow away DVDs.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why not just get a digital hi def tape recorder

and then you dont have to go thru the

monkey shines?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I'm having lots of fun (yeaaa right) attempting to get PowerVCR II + hacks to support online guide + TitanTV to make me have a TiVo on my HTPC.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Snake,

YOUR the one who asked what was new or exciting!

But to answer:

1. Random access (like Tivo compared to VHS)

2. Less costly (a MyHD card costs about $300)

3. Fun (that is what a hobby is all about)

4. Add the D-VHS later for archival purposes (best of both worlds!)

5. Because you CAN!!

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Netman,

Exactly! Why use a HTPC, if you could just buy a stand-alone DVD player and Faroudja? I'm after great picture quality, and an enjoyable hobby (that, and saving a huge wad of money compared to buying an external scaler). I want to have everything I need for home entertainment in a PC - the HD tuner/recorder card is an important part of that. And the fact that AVS Forum members are working on the new software for the HiPix is great. I stand no chance that the engineers from Panasonic or Mitsubishi or Sony are going to take my input on the design of a D-VHS recorder, while the AVS members are open to suggestions.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Chris,

My sentiments exactly. I have Radeon card set up to play DVD's at 1080i with Powerstrip, but even that quality pales compared to properly mastered HDTV, so I hardly ever watch DVD's. Most of my time is focused on tweaking my Hipix card and archiving HDTV broadcasts. Pretty soon I'll give the MyHD card a try, too.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I agree, HD is the way to go even if it is the biggest PITA like ADTV. The pic is outstanding - and free after purchase.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.