AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question has been nagging me for some time so I thought I would go ahead and ask. There are a few projectors here which get a lot of talk. A few that come to mind are the Infocus lp340/lp350, Plus UP1100, Sony 10HT, and NEC vt540. These are all indeed great projectors each with its own strengths and weaknesses. However, what about some of the others and what if you are using a htpc? If you take out the internal scaler part of the equation when looking at projectors I would think your options really open up to you...am I wrong?

To elaborate, what about some of the Compaq and other NEC projectors? I don't see much talk at all about projectors like the MT1040 (I think that's right). If the scaler isn't an issue wouldn't performance be pretty close between say two different lcd projectors with the same light output?

· Registered
6,092 Posts
The only thing special about the digital projectors you mention are that they are ones that have had a decent success rate and are typically marginally better than other similar products.

Taking the UP-1100/LT100/DX1 as an example. Without the Thumper mod and some of the gamma correction available with it, it would be a typical XGA projector.

Also keep in mind that there is so much cross branding going on that so many of these projectors are just knock offs of others.

To my knowledge on the DLP manufacturers exist: Plus, Davis, Seleco, and Infocus. Every other DLP projector is based on one of these manufacturers work.

On the LCD side there are only two LCD panel manufacturers: Sony, and Epson. Every LCD manufacture uses either of these panels. And of coarse there is a lot of cross branding at projector level as well going on.

Then there is d-ila which is a JVC product but sold by Dukane.

Over the last year or so, manufacturers have made great strides in shrinking the business projector in size and in price. The actual performance hasn't changed to much with some exceptions. Most of the DLP guys still have the clear section in the color wheel. Most of the LCD have about the same contrast as they did a year ago just with more brightness.

So, many people are searching for diamonds in the rough from the second hand business presentation market. When we find one such as the VT540 or the UP-1100 or a used G10 we jump all over it.

You don't here much about the made for HT digital projectors mentioned here much because they are overpriced typically and they often have inferior performance.

With an HTPC you are correct, you have a world of opurtunties. I wouldn't question anyones purchase (unless it was a Sharp ZW99, what a lemon)

Good luck and happy hunting. Remeber there is safety in numbers

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

· Registered
3,667 Posts
JP, I see that our avatar's are identical so I put a moustache on mine to be different.

I have an MT1040 and have talked about it on occasion. Most of the MT series are similar to the VT540 in many respects but differ in brightness.

There are many candidates for HT out there as you state that are not commonly discussed fro two reasons. 1) Many haven't seen them. 2) They aren't significantly different from those we do discuss. Most of these are LCDs.

The LCDs which get attention are those which have 16:9 aspect ratio, those which have great contrast ratio, or those that have reduced pixellization (aka screen door).

These seem to be made by Sony for 16:9 or Sanyo for all of these reasons. The Canons, Mitsubishis, NECs, Toshibas, etc. are beginning to run out of distinguishing features worthy of discussion.

------------------

Ken Elliott

· Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys. That helps me understand a bit more.

Kelliot, your comment about doubled me over...too funny.

Thanks!

JP

· Registered
6,092 Posts
Ken,

JP is also smilling.

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.