Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Cohnhead:

___Windows 2000 gives you some capabilities that Win98 SE or Millennium cannot but consistent crashes under either of the OS’s mentioned is not a general problem for any HTPC. There is more than likely a bad driver, bad OS installation, bad application still running in the background, or even a bad piece of HW causing this problem. Windows 2000 gives you weeks to month long stability that Win98 SE or Millennium cannot match but a properly built HTPC with the consumer OS’s most definitely gives you a day or more of non-crash type abilities even when running 100’s of open and closings of various applications. The thing that kills the consumer based OS’s is resources and non-protected memory space for the most part. Using HQ HW/SW/Apps, only the resource problem should rear up to bite you. You will notice a severe slowdown of your HTPC well before you approach the 20 – 25% System/GDI/User resources area in which case, you should reboot to get back to a fresh and fast HTPC.

___I am not discouraging you from using Windows 2000 for HTPC use because I have been using it in this capacity since very early this year including custom T&R’s as well as AC-3 pass-thru/DTS but it is a real troublesome OS when it gives up after a bad driver or application install. You simply cannot fix or hack it to the degree we can with the consumer based OS’s without getting into trouble.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

·
Registered
142 Posts
I am now thinking of the upgrade to win2k. Tired of system crashes and reboots. My system is as follows:

1.1gig tbird

MSI kt133pro2-a mb

128MB ram

hercules 2MX

4x dvd drive

currently using on board sound, will upgrade to SBLive soon.

40gig drive

Destination 36inch Monitor

I want all standard HTPC functions

TV via dScaler, DVD, MP3 jukebox, CD Player, Video Capture,

Little Kids Games, Big Kids Games

Run everything at 800x600 so i don't need any custom resolution support.

Will there be anything i won't be able to do under win2k?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
You probably won't be able to get SPDIF passthrough for DD/DTS with your current soundcard, unless it's one of the few with updated WDM drivers. Upgrading to an SBLive won't help much, as that will only get you SPDIF via PowerDVD, not WinDVD, until Creative comes out with new drivers (don't hold your breath).

If you can get by with the onboard sound for games, you might want to consider one of the M-Audio soundcards, which have drivers with working SPDIF under Win2k SP2.

Jeff

·
Registered
142 Posts
All the system crashes i spoke of occur during attempts to video capture. Moving to win2k should allow the use of WDM capture board drivers which appear to be more efficient and more "compatible" with more software then vfw drivers. It sounds like the AC3 passthrough problem is being solved by SP2, so i think i will not be losing any functionality with W2k while gaining the benifits, right?

Marc

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Marc:

___One thought … Think about a dual boot setup on a two partition HTPC just in case. Wiping out Windows 2000 when installed on its own partition is really very easy with just a few files on the root directory if you decide to go back.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

------------------

·
Registered
787 Posts
Win2k is not the silver bullet everyone thinks it is. I recently upgraded to an amd 1.13 (nonoverclocked) t bird, and was psyched to load w2k on it. After i loaded it on a spare drive I had, i was wholly underwhelmed. Ive been running w2k at work for about a year now, and I suspected its lack of zip to the machine it was tied to, a P3 500. I expected alot of get-up and go from w2k and the athlon 1.1

Even in just regular applications, I noticed it wasn't as peppy as my w98se install on my 750 athlon. When I ran quake3 benchmarks, i knew this couldn't be my primary os. I took a huge hit in the framerate. I did a fresh install of w98se on a new drive and loaded it for bear. I have a hipix, firewire, aureal card, a bunch of crap I thought it would choke on, but so far its been running like a champ.

I kept the win2k install cause i need it for apps i run at work. A great thing you can do now with all these new mobos with additional ide controllers on board is dual boot using the controllers. The promise at100 controller I have on board the a7v133 asks for which boot drive to use when it boots up, the promise one or the onboard ide. Its a great way to seperate church and state. I've set up people with dual boots before, but they're always a pain in the ass. Most of the headaches occur when they want to upgrade hard drives. With the installs on seperate drives, they never mingle with each other's boot sectors and makes it easier to upgard/change things around.

Everybody talks sh1t about w98se, but I like it fine. For games it's a no brainer, and the installation I have is just as stable as the w2k. I think eventually Im gonna need to use w2k more and more, but Im still not convinced its the better solution now.

K

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Kyungkim:

___I actually get 1 to 2 fps better performance while running Windows 2000 using an ELSA GeForce 256 SDR/DDR/2 GTS with my own Quake3 Demo001 setup than when running either 98 SE or Millennium on both a CUSL2 and an A7V133. This is confirmed on tens of tech performance sites on the web if you have not run across the benches yourself. If you are using a Radeon and looking for performance under Windows 2000, forget about it. The ATI Windows 2000 drivers are the equivalent of a stock Chevrolet Cavalier vs. a Dale Jerrett driven/Todd Parrott prepped Ford Taurus at Telladega http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

------------------

·
Registered
142 Posts
I did the upgrade to 2K last night and am very happy. I got all my software running. And my non calibrated speed meter say everything runs as fast or faster. I had to play with the nvidia settings for a while to get an overlay picture that i liked. I don't recall having to do that for winMe, so the driver default settings might be a little different. The best part is that i was able to load WDM drivers for my capture card on the first try, and was able to capture good looking MJPEG files while doing other stuff (like listening to mp3, fool with Girder, browse web) I used iuVCR, and it worked every time. Thanks for the help, I put my WinME hard drive on the self in case i needed to switch back, but i probably won't need that insurance for long (Knock on Wood).

Marc

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Quote:
If you are using a Radeon and looking for performance under Windows 2000, forget about it. The ATI Windows 2000 drivers are the equivalent of a stock Chevrolet Cavalier vs. a Dale Jerrett driven/Todd Parrott prepped Ford Taurus at Telladega
So that's why DVD playback was choppy using my Radeon under Win2K, while it was smooth with the GeForce2 GTS?

RD

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi RD:

___Not exactly … DVD performance and gaming performance are two different animals even though they use the overlay. I have to use the lousy Windows 2000 performing ATI Radeon because of compatibility with the latest builds but only because of that. As far as DVD playback under Windows 2000, the Radeon looks great using WinDVD 2000 ver. 2.6.4 with no choppy playback or anomalies that I can detect. It is just so darn slow for everything else under this great OS http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

------------------

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Quote:
As far as DVD playback under Windows 2000, the Radeon looks great using WinDVD 2000 ver. 2.6.4 with no choppy playback or anomalies that I can detect.
DVD playback via WinDVD on a 1.1Ghz T-Bird/Radeon LE was choppy, even though the configuration was stripped down. Playback on a 700Mhz Duron/GeForce2 GTS was smooth, with just the occasional dropped frame, even though there were several applications running in the system tray, including SQL Server 7.0.

So far, I'm not impressed with the Radeon LE at all. It's been a nightmare to configure, and even after all the effort I've expended I can't get decent DVD playback. Brickbats to ATI...kudos to nVidia!

RD

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.