AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying two 3TB USB 3.0 drives, and it would be nice to merge them into one large 6TB external drive. Is this even possible, or would I have to resort to a dual-drive external case and use two 3TB internal drives instead?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcvictim /forum/post/20777477

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817145096


+


extend volume from windows 7 disk management should do the trick

Gonna be a little hard to find 3tb 2.5" drives though.


You might consider this enclosure instead. It has support for 3tb hdds and 4 bays for expansion. Take note that your MB must support SATA port multipliers if you plan to connect via eSATA.


BT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,121 Posts
USB 2.0 is more than enough for streaming HD video files, if that's what you need it for. It may take you slightly longer to transfer the files from your old drives initially, but I doubt you'll need the higher transfer rates of USB 3.0 after that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video /forum/post/20791495


USB 2.0 is more than enough for streaming HD video files, if that's what you need it for. It may take you slightly longer to transfer the files from your old drives initially, but I doubt you'll need the higher transfer rates of USB 3.0 after that.

Yah but your always going to need to be putting more data on there. Weather you rip straight to i tor not 2.0 is just so slow when transferring HD video.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 /forum/post/20791593


Yah but your always going to need to be putting more data on there. Weather you rip straight to i tor not 2.0 is just so slow when transferring HD video.

Why is 60Megs a second too slow, because it's slower then the theoretical maximum of the hard drive transfer speed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcvictim /forum/post/20793349


Why is 60Megs a second too slow, because it's slower then the theoretical maximum of the hard drive transfer speed?

60


You're lucky to see 30MB/s over USB2! Which is still plenty fast for a few HD streams though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_stewart /forum/post/20790637


I like it but it's only USB 2.0

This Rosewill also supports up to 1TB. The OP suggested he wanted to use 3TB HDDs. The enclosure in my post is one of only a few rated for 3TB drives.


BT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video /forum/post/0


USB 2.0 is more than enough for streaming HD video files, if that's what you need it for. It may take you slightly longer to transfer the files from your old drives initially, but I doubt you'll need the higher transfer rates of USB 3.0 after that.

I manage a lot of large files which I move in and out of drives on a normal basis. When moving an entire TB you start to run into time efficiency issues. It would be nice to have the maximum available speed. Not to say 2.0 is slow for anyone else, it's just too slow for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_stewart /forum/post/20777036


I'm thinking of buying two 3TB USB 3.0 drives, and it would be nice to merge them into one large 6TB external drive. Is this even possible, or would I have to resort to a dual-drive external case and use two 3TB internal drives instead?

You might be better off with one of these LinkStation Pro Duo - LS-WVL/R1
http://www.buffalotech.com/products/...-duo-ls-wvlr1/



You can pick these up empty without the drives for a pretty good price and they are really fast for what they are. They stream really well - I have no probs with multiple 1080p streams. The latest firmware supports 3TB HDs.


The transfer rate is always around 60MB/s or higher when going from the PC HD or an ext USB3 HD connected to the PC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_stewart /forum/post/20796265


I manage a lot of large files which I move in and out of drives on a normal basis. When moving an entire TB you start to run into time efficiency issues. It would be nice to have the maximum available speed. Not to say 2.0 is slow for anyone else, it's just too slow for me.

Okay, one more time. This enclosure is rated for 3TB HDDs and has 3GBps eSATA connection. I would think you would be hard pressed to find something much faster than that. Yeah, it's a little pricey, but you get what you pay for. If your MB does not support Port Multiplier for eSATA, get this card and you are good to go.


BT
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top