AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I consider myself a moderate "early adopter" so I gave the Sangean HDR-1 a try. After 24 hours it's going back. The list of problems is not short. I wanted to replace my Bose Wave Radio (clock radio non HD) I purchased 10 years ago but the Sangean was really a poor performer.

I am wondering if all the similarly priced HD Clock Radios have the same shortcomings.

I'm 10 miles from downtown Chicago and about 5 miles from WGN and WBBM AM (50kw stations).

Even though several AM stations had full scale SSI's still no HD lock. The only one to lock was WGN but I don't listen to that one all that much.

Even the strongest FM stations woul lock and unlock especially the -2 -3 ...multicasts.

The manual lists options that do not exist in the actual radio.

Poor documentation in general.

Poor sound. Tinny sound even with the BASS profile.

Powering off the radio into sleep mode it would forget the previous station in the Band that wasn't active when the radio was put into sleep mode.

The list goes on.

I want a stand alone radio (not a component).

Does such a thing even exist or should I just stick with the Bose?

The idea of exploring the multicast stations is really what I am after but none of the -2 and -3 stations were stable on the HDR-1 even with my external antenna.

Thanks in advance,

J

·
Registered
1,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schja01 /forum/post/12979912

I consider myself a moderate "early adopter" so I gave the Sangean HDR-1 a try. After 24 hours it's going back. The list of problems is not short. I wanted to replace my Bose Wave Radio (clock radio non HD) I purchased 10 years ago but the Sangean was really a poor performer.

I am wondering if all the similarly priced HD Clock Radios have the same shortcomings.

I'm 10 miles from downtown Chicago and about 5 miles from WGN and WBBM AM (50kw stations).

Even though several AM stations had full scale SSI's still no HD lock. The only one to lock was WGN but I don't listen to that one all that much.

Even the strongest FM stations woul lock and unlock especially the -2 -3 ...multicasts.

The manual lists options that do not exist in the actual radio.

Poor documentation in general.

Poor sound. Tinny sound even with the BASS profile.

Powering off the radio into sleep mode it would forget the previous station in the Band that wasn't active when the radio was put into sleep mode.

The list goes on.

I want a stand alone radio (not a component).

Does such a thing even exist or should I just stick with the Bose?

The idea of exploring the multicast stations is really what I am after but none of the -2 and -3 stations were stable on the HDR-1 even with my external antenna.

Thanks in advance,

J

There must be something wrong with your unit, or maybe you are too close to the stations and overloading. I have the HDR-1 and the Sangean tuner. Both are extra sensitive and pull in more stations in FM than my other 3 FM tuners. I get all the Boston HD stations fine on FM and our 1 AM. I'm probably 15 to 30 miles from most all. My only problem was the double alarms per day, but that has now been fixed.

Not sure what features you saw in the manual that are not in the radio. All I remember was the 24 hour time format and nothing major.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the 24 hour time format is missing, System Reset from Standby mode is missing, Auto Time Set is missing, also their is not documentation on SPLIT but that seems non-functional but I don't know what it is suppose to do anyway.

If I flip from AM to FM it remembers the last listened station I was listening to in each band UNTIL I power it down to standby. When I turn it back on it forgets the last channel I was listening to in the band I was not listening to when I powered it down. Anoying.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schja01 /forum/post/12983077

Yes the 24 hour time format is missing, System Reset from Standby mode is missing, Auto Time Set is missing, also their is not documentation on SPLIT but that seems non-functional but I don't know what it is suppose to do anyway.

If I flip from AM to FM it remembers the last listened station I was listening to in each band UNTIL I power it down to standby. When I turn it back on it forgets the last channel I was listening to in the band I was not listening to when I powered it down. Anoying.

At least it has a reset somewhere. I agree I was upset about the lack of auto time set, forgot that one.

Split is on my tuner too. It is just supposed to do HD on one speaker and FM on the other. I never use it.

Regarding your AM FM station loss I never have the problem. I just checked, turned off radio, back on and both AM and FM were at the stations I had been listening to. And I especially like being able to set the station for each alarm which I never had before on a clock radio.

I'd even call it a great radio if they just put in a port so we could update the firmware easy! Then they might give us updates to fix most of your complaints! And I don't see anything else out there that works as good.

I have no other HD except in my Onkyo receiver, and the Sangean's beat it in sensitivity. I've seen some other HD radios in stores and not been impressed by any.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.

For now J&R is getting one Sangean HDR-1 back.

I reinstalled my Bose Wave Radio and will wait for the HD Radio industry to mature a little more before I dip my feet into it.

I appreciate the feedback but the HDR-1 is definitely not ready for me or vice versa.

J

1 - 5 of 5 Posts