AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was blown away when I heard Hotel California on a friend's demo disc, and soon thereafter the Eagles' Hell Freezes Over became the first music video in my DVD library. The clarity is absolutely stunning on my Polk LSi speakers with the SVS subwoofer cranked, and it's my disc of choice when I want to impress people with my sound system. By some accounts it's the best of the best and I find that easy to believe, but is there nothing else that comes close?

I like a wide variety of musical styles so what I'm really looking for is a recording that blows people away with the lowest lows and highest highs with enough clarity to hear every note, preferably in DTS that makes effective use of 5.1 surround and still sounds good when cranked enough to blow the dust out of the speakers. Oh and it wouldn't hurt if the musicians have some talent! Is there anything that can rival HFO?

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm with you, Jay.

I recently purchased HFO on DTS CD. [It's like the DVD, but without video and without all of the menus.] I was very, very impressed with the spaciousness and clarity.

I hope that this format catches on. 5.1 music is fantastic.

Mike

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi Jay,

I can only offer my take on a likely concert DVD that bests HFO.

This disc is .... ready ? it was discussed a few weeks back at length..... ok...here goes

Diana Krall 'Live in Paris'. This DVD contains a DD5:1 track, as well as a dts track.

My comments regarding the quality of this disc pertain to the dts track. Her music aside (her style of jazz, that is), this is my current reference concert DVD.

For three years now, the Eagles HFO was my reference (with Steely Dan's Two Against Nature as second best for audio).

After listening to Krall's dts track, I reluctantly had to move HFO to the number 2 spot.

It is that clean, IMHO.

Give it a shot. I suspect you will be impressed.

(Paradigm Reference 40's, Reference CC, and Paradigm ADP dipole 350 surrounds, driven by nOrh Le Amps monoblocks, and a single Marantz MA6100 monoblock for one of the surrounds)

BOK

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Two very diferent kinds of music. I have both, I prefer the Eagles music, but to each their own. I think both are worth having and both make great audio demos.

Vern Dias

·
Registered
194 Posts
Stop Making Sense and The Last Waltz both have better video (i.e. anamorphic and by real movie directors) than HFO. SMS has two 5.1 mixes. TLW has one, plus the original stereo mix. No DTS, though.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I WANT THAT!!! Hell Freezes Over!!! I got an Eagles Greatest Hits LP I listen to a lot now. And I gotta couple of MP3s. Hotel California, great song, and Get Over It. The DVD would be nice to have.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I second this, LIVE IN PARIS of Diana is reference, plain in simple.

HELL FREEZES OVER too but less, especially the video.

concert dvds are indeed a must have for showing off your system indeed.

i recommend also the magnificient PETER FRAMPTON LIVE IN DETROIT in DTS an anamorphic: it's THAT good.

I'm awaiting BARR MANILOW in dts and got also BEE GEES one night only in dts too.

the ROBBIE WILLIAMS live at the Albert and another one by ELTON JOHN also at the Albert

there's the CORRS live in London indts and anamorphic too but the delienation of the video source is not perfect unfortunately. lots of shimmering/crawlings showing the limitation of the video camera resolution used, especially when the camera zooms out and the instruments become small.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yes, David.....

you too like the subtleties of Krall.... it is not the be-all cup of tea, for sure, as rock music tends to lose it's own reference point when the instruments are not separated in the song.

HFO, IMO, contains about six songs ( back cover starting from the top... the first four, ninth and #ten -'I Can't Tell You Why'. I consider those reference -- absolutely !

.... but if you like the sound of true piano played in dts, the smoothest snare work by Jeff Hamilton, Anthony Wilson solos on guitar, as well as a full symphony orchestra not lost in this dts track by a long shot, then this disc is reference. Many of the appreciable points of this reference disc are not 'in your face'. Listen for the small things, as they make the whole.

Krall's vocals are true on... gasps for air.... head turned away from the mic for a saliva renewal/ lip smacking... The subtle "live in paris" nuances are all captured.

This is the only concert DVD that I own (other than the live 'Music for Montserrat') which brought me into the concert hall. Honestly, lights off, cranked a bit, and the concert hall had width, depth, the aural and spatial cues are all there ---- hell , you were there !!! Your walls can disappear with this disc.

No other concert DVD brought me to the actual concert performance. It simply sounds LIVE !

oops, sorry to wax poetic... adieu

BOK

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Waymire
Try Billy Idol - Storytellers. If you like HFO you'll think this is great as well.
This gets my vote as well...Steve Stevens is an amazing guitarist. And yes, it is in DTS as well.:D

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David600
http://dvdcorner.net/html/frampton.html

found this site which reviews dvds of concerts also. check their review of FRAMPTON, I told you :)
I have a DVD DTS demodisc with Peter singing "Show Me The Way" and it sounded and looked really good ....I guess that one is now on my list of concerts to buy:)

·
Registered
359 Posts
IMHO, the question should be, "Is there 'live' during 'Hell Freezes Over'?

;)

Why not just lip synch to prerecorded tapes?

I don't know which I dislike more, these guys or Britney etal.

At least with the teeny boppers there isn't the smug artiface, everyone knows they're faking!
Quote:
Krall's vocals are true on... gasps for air.... head turned away from the mic for a saliva renewal/ lip smacking... The subtle "live in paris" nuances are all captured.
Ah, sounds live to me!

Those who like jazz may also be interested in "Calle 54" a very good movie about latin jazz, (not as much about the musicians, as the music). Although there is no audience, it is live performance. (The people in the theater ARE the audience). Directed by Academy Award winning director Fernando Trueba ("Belle Epoque").

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
Check out Queen Greatest Video Hits 1.

Brian May took original 16-track masters and distributed the sound beautifully over 6 speakers (DTS). This DVD rocks.

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
Check out Queen Greatest Video Hits 1.

Brian May took original 16-track masters and distributed the sound beautifully over 6 speakers (DTS). This DVD rocks.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Hey. I've seen that. Black and White Night ROCKS. I borrowed my uncle's DVD of that. I'm eventually gonna buy it for myself. In the meantime, I got it on a VCD I made from the DVD. And since I want the full resolution of DVD and DTS, for when I get DTS, and wanna support the supplier, I'm gonna buy the DVD. Something weird about it though. I wonder if they remixed it from a 2 channel source. The backup vocals and some of the instruments are in the back. Shouldn't they all be in front and have the audience in the back? Oh well. It still sounds very good.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Particularly for Eagles fans.

Don Henley's "Live Inside Job" DVD picks up where HFO leaves off...

More Henley songs, a reggae / electric guitar version of Hotel California with trombones. DTS, large band, choir, subtitles and a great mix.

The most frequently played disc in my HT.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I agree with the praises for HFO and SMS. Music for Montserrat is unevenly bad, but the only DVD with Mark Knopfler playing. Others I recommend:

Carlos Santana - Supernatural has some wonderful music and camera angles.

Concert For Bangladesh has the most heart & the greatest cast of musicians ever, just okay video.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.