AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if there is much, if any, below 30hz content in dubstep, drum n bass, or other electronic music. I just upgraded to dual SVS SB2000s and wonder if I'd be better off with a single pb2000, which, from whatI've gathered, has much more potential below 30hz. Thank you : )

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC1315  /t/1523865/is-there-much-if-any-bel...-bass-or-other-electronic-music#post_24518602

I'm wondering if there is much, if any, below 30hz content in dubstep, drum n bass, or other electronic music. I just upgraded to dual SVS SB2000s and wonder if I'd be better off with a single pb2000, which, from whatI've gathered, has much more potential below 30hz. Thank you : )

Having analyzed literally thousands of musical selections for spectral content, dynamics, various artifacts and noise, I can tell you for sure that every genre of music that is not absolutely tied to a time period where wide range reproduction was technically followed is all over the map. Some is full of bass, and some is pretty thin sounding.

You've described a "Can't lose" selection of genre's that is positive for subwoofers with strong response down to no less than 20 Hz.

BTW if you exploit them well, the two subs have less benefits in terms of deeper bass than one and more benefits if you arrange them so that bass is distributed more uniformly across your listening area.

·
Banned
8,743 Posts
I have looked at the spectral content of a lot of that music, Drum'n'bass, Dubstep, Electro, and so on, and have posted some waterfalls in the ' subwoofer song of the day for a few tunes. Mostly they do not dig below the mid 30 Hz region. Trading two SB2000s for a PB2000 would be a definite downgrade for the purpose of listening to electronic music. There are a few tunes that dig deeper than what your SB2000s could reliably play back, but they would overwhelm the PB2000 too.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you ShadyJ, my mind is now at ease :)

I'll hang on to both SB2000s, knowing that I'm not missing out on much of anything (low frequency-wise).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts