AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A year or so ago I was lucky enough to stumble across a large collection of laserdiscs which I have enjoyed alot. I had been using a denon la-2300 which is a pretty decent player but I had been wanting something more. A few days ago I ran across the elite cld-79 for a nice price and jumped on it. I tested the basic functions when I got it home and everything seemed to work ok. Several days went by and I didnt have time to mess with it until tonight. I wanted to do a side by side comparo of my two players. I had them going directly to a 25" zenith that is about 8 years old, but was nice in its day. After playing several discs it caught my attention that alot more speckles were present on the cld-79 than on the denon. I played about 5 different movies and found my self being destracted because of the speckles alot more often on the cld-79 than on the denon. I know the pioneer is a better player so I am now wondering if there is a problem with it? Does anyone have any opinions on this?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was talking to a guy today about this and he told me there should be a VDNR button on the player to reduce the "speckles", but when I looked at my player I did not see this button, is it only on the remote? Because I dont have it or the manual. Is there anyone here that has this player and can shed some light on this?

·
Registered
28,240 Posts
Yes, the DNR controls are only on the remote, not on the player's front panel. DNR wouldn't really affect speckling, however. It would reduce signal noise, but not speckles.

I'd theorize that the CLD-79 has a sharper picture than the Denon, and is a lot more revealing about defects in the source. The Denon's softer picture will mask a lot of those errors.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.