AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
h t t p ://w w w . 6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=CESSTUDIOM450-KW100

(*edit sorry for the spacing, I wasnt allowed to post a url yet)

This seems like a really great deal and since I am in the process of trying to piece together a 5.1 HT setup it may be worth getting.

My room is large (26x20) and opens into another large room. I am on a tight budget and was hoping to incorporate what I currently own until I can afford better. Right now, I have a pair of Paradigm Micro V.2's and a Velodyne CT-100 sub, older 5.1 receiver that I will be replacing.

A few questions:

Are the Studio Monito 450's enough to use as my FR and FL?

If yes, would the Micro v.2's make for decent surround speakers?

Since my room is so big could I use both subs to help fill it or is mixing subs a bad idea?

Is this deal good enough to pick up and sell my ct-100 and put that money towards a center?

Why is this deal so damn cheap?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by expertmech /forum/post/19571516

I was looking at that too - Didn't pull the trigger yet.

avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1292887

The guy who has them in your thread seems very happy with them. I may have to go home and convince the wife to buy me these as my xmas present.

Does anyone know if these can be mounted on a wall?

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnbk2 /forum/post/19571530

The guy who has them in your thread seems very happy with them. I may have to go home and convince the wife to buy me these as my xmas present.

Does anyone know if these can be mounted on a wall?

Yes, they can be wall-mounted with a provided keyhole mount that screws into the rear of the speaker right over the sock (you can feel the notch for the mount through the sock, then just drive the screw in). Then it just hangs on a toggle-bolt or some other type of solid screw in the wall. The only downfall is how you have your speaker wire running; if it's in-wall wire, it looks very clean; if not, the speaker won't be quite flush with the wall due to the wire running behind the speaker from the bottom or sides.

BTW, the SM450's are fantastic speakers, especially for the price they're offering them for; the Klipsch sub is just a bonus.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So most people here are in agreement that the SM450's would work well as my fronts.

Does anyone have an opinion on using 2 miss matched sub's, and older Paradigm Micro V.2 as rears in a 5.1 setup?

·
Registered
29,116 Posts
The rear speakers don't need to match the fronts so you'll be fine there. You can also use mismatched subs. If you ever get a center channel make sure it matches the SM450's.

The Def Tech speakers are normally $499/pr so you're getting a $100 discount and a subwoofer thrown in.

Its a good deal heldover from Black Friday.

·
Registered
29,116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 /forum/post/19572078

The price has gone down on the CLR 2002 center speaker.

You are getting a better deal than $100 - the SM350 is

$498 regular, and the SM450 is $658 regular.

I was going by this price
http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=DEFSTUDIOM450

they say my Energy RC-10s are regularly $600/pr but I never would have paid that. They didn't even get my attention until they were $300.

I never pay MSRP for anything! that's just a negotiating price for the dealer. I start much lower.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts