AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have run out of optical inputs on my reciever, I need one more for xbox here, wife won't let me buy a new reciever LOL and I am familiar with optical manual switches that you can put 3 or 4 into one output and manually get up and switch when needed but was curious since I only need one more input ( a 4 way switch is overkill for me) if there is such a device as a y cable or something that auto detects which source is on and does the switching automatically for you?

This may be a far fetch to ask and may not even exist but before I go buy a manual switch to add just one more optical input I thought it was worth asking.

Bill :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have an audio Authority model 1177 and I am pleased with it. It has 4 in optical and coaxial and optical and coaxial out. It is an auto switch. I got mine at WWW. Copperbox.com. I think it was $129.00.

·
Registered
183 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This looks like exactly what I need, altho wanted to ask since you own one does it also work the opposite way of how it is described?

From reading the description it sounds like it converts one line into two output lines, i need it to convert two lines into one input line...

-------------------------

(from page)

"The splitter accepts one optical signal and outputs two, all via Toslink."

-------------------------

So if I have one toslink from my xbox and one from my sat reciever could I reverse the use of this jack (running both of those two items into the splitter) then run the main wire to the one optical input on my reciever (hope that makes sense the way I worded it).

If so then all I would have to do is make sure one is off when the other is on (if this would work in that application).

·
Registered
183 Posts
Bill,

absolutely... and that's how I use it...

for a diagram of my audio setup click here:

http://www.fastai.com/ht/hometheater/audiowiring.gif

or for general setup info here:

http://www.fastai.com/ht/components.htm

some of that stuff is old... but most is up to date.

Call them. I recommend also buying really short (1 meter I think) tos cables from them.... you want short cables if possible, because there is some loss of the signal with splitting/combining.

Also, remember, both can't be on at the same time! LOL

Harlan

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I realize I cant have both on at once but by chance have you ever accidently had both on at once? if so what happens loud noises damage etc?

Mine would be a split from xbox and sattellite box so I dont see ever having them both on at once (xbox isnt on all that much in general) but just curious thanks for all the input too!!!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Tried connecting the optical outs of two sony jukeboxes to my denon 5803 with a splitter in reverse. With both sources on, neither one worked, the denon did not see any valid digital signal at all and was totally silent.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have one of the optical splitter in this configuration. Single output of CD unit into two different recievers. One of the recievers works fine (Denon 3802). The other a Yamaha 1100 has issues. I know it is the optical splitter for the following reason.

When the Yamaha reciver is turned on and in tuner mode or even CD mode when the source CD player is not on the reciever works fine. The minute I turn on CD player, the Yamaha reciver turns off. The Yamaha is set in CD AUTO mode and senses the signal and plays music for a few seconds and then turns off. It is like it does not like the input signal.

Any reasons/guesses WHY???

Thanks.

·
Registered
888 Posts
The only effect a pure optical splitter should have is to reduce the strength of the signal. Ok, well maybe it plays some games with phase and such, but that ought not to matter. You might try experimenting with other optical sources in case the one you are currently using already has a weak signal.

According to my theory, If you have another device with a stronger signal, then splitting it will not cause any problems. If that turns out to be the case, you could probably find either an optical amplifier, or an active splitter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The runs to the two sources are the same distance. Configuration is 1m Toslink to splitter and then two 1 meter toslinks to two different devices. One works and one doesn't. The yanaha may work for a few minutes and then turn off. Do you think I have a bad cable or a crimp?

·
Registered
888 Posts
If you swap the cables does the Yamah start working? My guess is that it won't. I am thinking that the Yamaha's optical receiver is just less sensitive than the one on the other device.

Doesn't hurt to try it and see, it is free.

·
Registered
30 Posts
OK. A little more information. Certain songs cause the Yamaha to turn off when optically split... I will try to see if works when the optical connector is not split to the reciever.

Any other thoughts???

·
Registered
30 Posts
Think I May have been able to determine root cause. The volume level was too high for the reciever and it could not handle the load with other devices. Turned the volume down a bit and it seems to work....

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I got the splitter and 2 equal 1 meter runs of toslink (both same brand etc), hooked it all up to put both my xbox and my Mitsu Sat box both into my Onkyo Reciever and the sat box works fine, however with sat box off xbox doesnt work :(

If i unplug from the splitter the sat box toslink xbox kicks in but once I put the sat box line back into the splitter xbox goes dead (sound wise).

UGHHHHH

Bill :(

·
Registered
37 Posts
Most likely your stellite box is framing empty frames all time. Same goes for CD-changers.

There is a MSB director, capable fo doing it; also Midiman digipatch (but no selfsensing or IR control, only via MIDI from a PC.

There was one ideal product, little pricey - from Nirvis - called DXS. There is a chance that Nirvis will restart production - e-mail David Aue, [email protected] and tell him that you are looking for a DXS type device...

(He hates me :).

Kleks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.