AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a DVD Player with HDMI out, but my TV has RGB in.

Anyone know where I can pick up a HDMI to RGB Converter, if they exist.

Any help is appreciated.

BoomerangThree

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerangThree
I'm thinking about getting a DVD Player with HDMI out, but my TV has RGB in.

Anyone know where I can pick up a HDMI to RGB Converter, if they exist.

Any help is appreciated.

BoomerangThree
Converting an HDCP encrypted HDMI feed (or an HDCP encrypted DVI feed) to un-encrypted analogue (or digital) RGB would be in breach of the licensing requirements for implementing HDCP. The whole point of the HDCP encryption used in HDMI is to ensure that high-definition analogue video isn't made available - so the device you require would be in breach of these.

All that said, there is already a device that WILL do what you want, AIUI it uses HDCP chipsets also used in RCA TVs? However there is no guarantee that these will continue to be available - nor that they will continue to work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sneals2000

So, basically, those of us with HD TVs with RGB inputs are out of luck for hooking up HDMI sources aside from the option you mention.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
BoomerangThree,

Check out this gizmo http://www.dtrovision.com/dcda1.htm . You'll still need the hdmi -> dvi adapter and then maybe a vga to whatever adapter at the other end. This box handles the hdcp handshake. At least at this point in time, it's legal and current sources allow it.

Best,

jeff

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Greeno, Thanks...

If there is a thread that provides the information I'm trying to learn, please feel free to point me to it.

1) So it appears that going from a DVD Player with a HDMI out to a HDTV with RGB in isn't the nomal, currently supported path. One that has a simple converter.

2) If I understand correctly at this time, part of the HDMI spec is this restriction on preventing someone from copying a signal?

3) and so folks like me with a HDTV with RGB in are somewhat scre* when it comes to upgrading to something like a DVD Player with HDMI capability?

BoomerangThree

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Quote:
Greeno, Thanks...

If there is a thread that provides the information I'm trying to learn, please feel free to point me to it.

1) So it appears that going from a DVD Player with a HDMI out to a HDTV with RGB in isn't the nomal, currently supported path. One that has a simple converter.

2) If I understand correctly at this time, part of the HDMI spec is this restriction on preventing someone from copying a signal?

3) and so folks like me with a HDTV with RGB in are somewhat scre* when it comes to upgrading to something like a DVD Player with HDMI capability?

BoomerangThree
1) Yes

2) Yes

3) Yes

Surely, you can't expect the people that are trying to sell you stuff to care about you, can you?

Anyway, the DC-DA1 is OK, but the DAC in it is not that great. An external scaler will scale and output RGB eliminating the need for this for SD DVD playback. I did a 4 person shootout comparing various players (Oppo, S97, NS975) through the DC-DA1 against those same players 480i component to a old Lumagen scaler (a few months ago, there were some new for $400 and you can get them used for that or less--so about the same cost as the DC-DA1). The PQ from the NS975->Lumagen and the S97->Lumagen were by far the best most detailed pictures (so much better than the other configurations, my wife could tell they were better!). The only downside to the Lumagen is the SI504 chip is not the greatest video deinterlacer, but I VERY rarely need that.

In my mind, a DC-DA1 is "insurance" in case you have to have it and no better solution comes out. But, it certainly is not videophile grade. For the same functionality and more, google "Moonjong DVI" and read the hits you get back. It is supposed to be much better, but it will cost you a bit more. I have not tried it yet.

Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
about the industry having to sell us new stuff.

I think the final question, but perhaps not.

1) Is it possible to just take the HDMI out from the DVD Player with a a HDMI to DVI cable and connect this cable to a DVI to RGB converter?

Upon 2nd thought, perhaps not, I'm thinking about one of those DVI to VGA converter / connectors.

2) Not the same signal, correct? The DVI to VGA just allows you to hook up a VGA source to a DVI connection, but not get the DVI signal?

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Quote:
about the industry having to sell us new stuff.

I think the final question, but perhaps not.

1) Is it possible to just take the HDMI out from the DVD Player with a a HDMI to DVI cable and connect this cable to a DVI to RGB converter?

Upon 2nd thought, perhaps not, I'm thinking about one of those DVI to VGA converter / connectors.

2) Not the same signal, correct? The DVI to VGA just allows you to hook up a VGA source to a DVI connection, but not get the DVI signal?
1) Yes. But, the point I was trying to make is that you can spend the same amount of money and get a better picture with an external scaler than you can from the scalers in sub-$500 players and the DAC in the DC-DA1.

2) The digital signal is transcoded to an analog signal via a digital to analog converter (DAC) in the device.

Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the lightbulb is burning brighter. Thanks.

Through all of this, the basic problem I have is that the DVD Player is sending out a digital signal and the HDTV only has an input, RGB, for analog.

I need to get the digital signal converted to analog. That was the simple concept I was missing.

So this brings me to:

1) Do all DVD Players that have HDMI out also encrypt the signal via HDCP and if so, does the DAC you mention handle that?

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Quote:
I think the lightbulb is burning brighter. Thanks.

Through all of this, the basic problem I have is that the DVD Player is sending out a digital signal and the HDTV only has an input, RGB, for analog.

I need to get the digital signal converted to analog. That was the simple concept I was missing.

So this brings me to:

1) Do all DVD Players that have HDMI out also encrypt the signal via HDCP and if so, does the DAC you mention handle that?
1) Yes. But there are a few DVI players such as the Oppo that output non-HDCP over DVI, but the DC-DA1 will handle all HDMI and DVI sources..

Does your TV have RGB or component in? The Momitsu (not the greatest deinterlacer/scaler on the planet) will output upscaled content via RGB and component. The NeuNeo, AVeL LinkPlayer, hacked Samsung, or Zenith 318 with old firmware will output upscaled content over the component connection, but again, none of these have top shelf PQ.

Now, are you sure the scaler in your TV sucks? Also, If you are using a smaller screen CRT display, 480p component from a progressive player is probably going to look great, thus you don't need an upscaling player. If you need upscaled RGB, without hesitation, I would go the external scaler route over the DC-DA1 route.

Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a Pioneer Elite PRO-520HD and as I learn more and read more it appears that the Pioneer's PureCinemaII is really a scaler.

All of this has come from the fact that I have read where many people have gotten a HD like picture from DVDs with upscaling. My DVDs are pretty damn good quality viewed through the 520, but as most of us, if I can get better, hey why not.

I also have HD via DirectTV and so I know how good a HD pic can be. The DVD player quality pic from a chepo DVD player is real good. So, I'm trying to learn

1) With upscaling in a DVD player, can my PRO-520HD get an even better pic.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
1) As someone mentioned in your other thread, it really depends on which has the better scaler/deinterlacer, your tv, or the dvd player. Unfortunately, in most cases, you don't know until you a/b the two and find out for yourself.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
An upscaled DVD is NEVER going to look like HD. And I mean NEVER. Too many MPEG artifacts and you can't really add data. So, don't think you are ever going to get SD DVDs looking as good as HD looks.

This is a pretty good CRT RPTV with color corrected red and green. You should get a great image from it. I think your TV can handle 480i, 480p, or 1080i signals. 480i signals are converted to 480p, thus, you TV displays everything at 480p or 1080i. Right now, if you are feeding it a 480i signal via component, it is deinterlacing and displaying it at 480p. You might get slightly better performance from a decent progressive player by feeding your TV 480p. I'm assuming you don't want to spend too much, so buy a Panny S97 ($300) from a place with a 30 day return policy and try it out. Compare your current player's 480i against the 480p and 1080i from this. If there is not much difference take it back and decide if you are willing to spend double or more than the S97 to see any difference.

My 2 cents.

Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to everyone I get the picture, pun intended.

I really appreciate everyone taking time and having paitence to educate me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.