AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious. Got a dark blue-grayish verticle bar in the middle of the picture. It is not seen in normal or bright scene but is clearly visible in dark scenes.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
No, I don't think that any of the digital technologies, except plasma displays, are suseptible to burn in. Go get that DL450 quick!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've heard LCDs can have a temporary/partial loss of response if they are subject to a static image. The story is that the local temperature change due to the light absorption in one area of the chip causes a reduced/expanded response range. As the chip temperature equalizes (over a few minutes?) the response should return to normal with no long term effect.

True? Hogwash? I'm don't do thermal engr on LCDs, so I don't know their characteristics. The effect has been informally observed on the 10HT, but the cause wasn't verified scentifically, AFAIK. It's a nice hypothesis...

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I can a thermal issues with LCDs - they don't work well below freezing. Seeing that it isn't going away with after warm up, I would suspect that the problem isn't with the LCD. It might be a voltage drop on one of the vertical scan registers or a mapping function error (hardware or software).

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Yes, LCD burn-in exists but is temporary. I quote from my NEC VT540 manual:

"CAUTION

Avoid displaying stationary images for a prolonged period of time.

Doing so can result in these images being temporarily sustained on the surface of the LCD panel.

If this should happen, continue to use your projector. The static background from previous images will disappear. "

Gary

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I have two permanently slow 1024x768 sony panels, the ones that are used in almost every ( well, lotsa them...) LCD unit out there. They are PERMANENTLY slow.. no way to get them back to normal. lazy pixels. too bad. oh well. Be careful when showing constant BLUE screen too. this can burn different elements of the mirror/filter assembly that is nearby one or more of the panels. This is impossible to fix as manufacturers don't generally sell parts of the lightbox, just the entire lightbox.. at a price that is generalyl higher than the price of the PJ in mint condition, if used. In short.. long term blue screen with a LCD is NOT reccomended.

------------------

goosystems.com

Ken Hotte

[email protected]

[email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.