AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last 3 times I bought a TV, I ended up buying an LCD based TV; mainly because, to my eyes, LCD TVs looked much better in a bright room.

I am ready to upgrade my current TV to a Samsung 55" D6300 series TV. If I can find a 50"-55" plasma TV that can deliver the same kind of brightness (while offering trademark Plasma color reproduction), I would definitely go for that.

No worries if there aren't any. I just thought maybe there might be a new plasma TV that has the ability to have uncharacteristically high brightness.

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really appreciate your quick reply back. As you know, I dont know anything about Plasma TV's other than what I used to see on the Magnolia HIfi showroom floor 2 years ago.

Anyway, I have a few some questions:

1. I will be using my TV as a full time PC monitor (I will be watching TV and bluray as well). Do modern plasmas still suffer from burnin? Magnolia Hifi said that plasma burnin's are covered by their warranty. I'm definitely not a "light" computer user.

2. Which TV would you recommend as the brightest possible 54-55" Plasma TV? About 2 years ago, it seemed that Plasma TVs were roughly half as bright as LCD; at least the plasma TVs I saw. How close do they get today? I need it to be roughly as bright as a typical office LCD PC monitor. The showroom I want to go to is 1.5 hours away; so, unless Best Buy has the TV I'm looking for, it will be a while before I can visit Magnolia Hifi to see just how bright plasmas are.

3. Are chances of getting a dead/defective pixels about the same on plasmas as LCDs?

Thanks again,

MKANET

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET /forum/post/20884588

I really appreciate your quick reply back. As you know, I dont know anything about Plasma TV's other than what I used to see on the Magnolia HIfi showroom floor 2 years ago.

Anyway, I have a few some questions:

1. I will be using my TV as a full time PC monitor (I will be watching TV and bluray as well). Do modern plasmas still suffer from burnin? Magnolia Hifi said that plasma burnin's are covered by their warranty. I'm definitely not a "light" computer user.

2. Which TV would you recommend as the brightest possible 54-55" Plasma TV? About 2 years ago, it seemed that Plasma TVs were roughly half as bright as LCD; at least the plasma TVs I saw. How close do they get today? I need it to be roughly as bright as a typical office LCD PC monitor. The showroom I want to go to is 1.5 hours away; so, unless Best Buy has the TV I'm looking for, it will be a while before I can visit Magnolia Hifi to see just how bright plasmas are.

3. Are chances of getting a dead/defective pixels about the same on plasmas as LCDs?

Thanks again,

MKANET

If you're worried about burn-in you should not be going for the brightest set possible, be it LCD or Plasma. BOTH can get burn-in (LCD manufacturer's just call it persistence or retention - basically just something different since they propagated marketing nonsense about plasmas being bad and most people don't read manuals anyway). LCD manuf.s will not cover IR either so bear that in mind when seeking out an eye-searing display. Generally speaking, the higher the contrast you push the more likely you are to get BI/IR/whatever you want to call it. Contrast is the difference between white and black so the brighter your set it, the higher the contrast will be - and, all things being equal, the more likely you are to get retention.

I'm very careful with my plasma and have had no retention. I use my LCD as a computer monitor and it gets pretty bad IR that I don't notice until months later and have to use slides to wash away. So far, it's never stuck but I've seen burned-in LCDs. Especially on very bright ones, it's real and not that tough to get.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Plasmas are still not as bright as LCDs so if you like to have the brightness or contrast turned up high on an LCD no plasma will match that. I have both of my plasmas set at half brightness and contrast up 3/4 of the way and they look great but compared to my LCD (or old DLP) they still look dark but only in a side by side comparison during the day. At night the plasmas look great and the LCD hurts my eyes if I use it to much (in the dark). I use both of my plasmas as computer displays and they work fine.

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It would be a tough sell to convince me I have to worry about LCD burnin
I dont have LCD burnin on my Sony Bravia that's set to pretty close to maxed out brightness which I have on 4-6 hours a day using my Windows desktop (over 5 years, same desktop). I turn on the display when I get home, turn it off when I go to sleep (watching TV/movies 1-3 hours a day). Weekends its on most of the time. If there was a chance at burnin, it would have happened a while back. I've already put in over 10,000 hours on that display. Same goes with my work LCD displays (with "brightness" setting completely maxed out) showing the same network infrastructure monitoring screens 8-9 hours a day in the last 4 years; however, I've still put more time in on my Sony Bravia than my work LCDs.

I'm only interested in finding out more about Plasma since that the technology I dont have personal experience with. I'm just curious if there's a recent specific model plasma set I should look for that's known for it's brightness; and, at least somewhat close to the resilience from burnin I'm used to. I'm headed to Best Buy after work; and, thought there may be something specific to look for. When I did a google search, I saw Pansonic ST and GT models and the Samsung 51".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover /forum/post/20885421

If you're worried about burn-in you should not be going for the brightest set possible, be it LCD or Plasma. BOTH can get burn-in (LCD manufacturer's just call it persistence or retention - basically just something different since they propagated marketing nonsense about plasmas being bad and most people don't read manuals anyway). LCD manuf.s will not cover IR either so bear that in mind when seeking out an eye-searing display. Generally speaking, the higher the contrast you push the more likely you are to get BI/IR/whatever you want to call it. Contrast is the difference between white and black so the brighter your set it, the higher the contrast will be - and, all things being equal, the more likely you are to get retention.

I'm very careful with my plasma and have had no retention. I use my LCD as a computer monitor and it gets pretty bad IR that I don't notice until months later and have to use slides to wash away. So far, it's never stuck but I've seen burned-in LCDs. Especially on very bright ones, it's real and not that tough to get.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET /forum/post/20885679

It would be a tough sell to convince me I have to worry about LCD burnin
I dont have LCD burnin on my Sony Bravia that's set to pretty close to maxed out brightness which I have on 4-6 hours a day using my Windows desktop (over 5 years, same desktop). I turn on the display when I get home, turn it off when I go to sleep (watching TV/movies 1-3 hours a day). Weekends its on most of the time. If there was a chance at burnin, it would have happened a while back. I've already put in over 10,000 hours on that display. Same goes with my work LCD displays (with "brightness" setting completely maxed out) showing the same network infrastructure monitoring screens 8-9 hours a day in the last 4 years; however, I've still put more time in on my Sony Bravia than my work LCDs.

I'm only interested in finding out more about Plasma since that the technology I dont have personal experience with. I'm just curious if there's a recent specific model plasma set I should look for that's known for it's brightness; and, at least somewhat close to the resilience from burnin I'm used to. I'm headed to Best Buy after work; and, thought there may be something specific to look for. When I did a google search, I saw Pansonic ST and GT models and the Samsung 51".

I'm telling you it's somewhat luck of the draw - and it's the same way with LCDs. Some people abuse their plasmas to all hell without problem. Others get retention very easily. The same is true for LCD and you can google to find more info about that. With both it should only be a theoretical defect unless the screen is heavily abused, but real-world says different. If you're unlucky, manufacturer's won't cover it. This goes for LCD or Plasma.

In terms of your LCD screens, I strongly suspect they're smaller screens that have low max brightness. The screen I have with the problem is 400 cd/sqm and I turn down the brightness as far as it can go (still brighter than any previous LCD I'd had). If you opt for a super-bright screen, be prepared to either be careful or deal with retention.

·
Banned
345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET /forum/post/20883132

The last 3 times I bought a TV, I ended up buying an LCD based TV; mainly because, to my eyes, LCD TVs looked much better in a bright room.

I am ready to upgrade my current TV to a Samsung 55" D6300 series TV. If I can find a 50"-55" plasma TV that can deliver the same kind of brightness (while offering trademark Plasma color reproduction), I would definitely go for that.

No worries if there aren't any. I just thought maybe there might be a new plasma TV that has the ability to have uncharacteristically high brightness.

They're not any plasmas brighter than LED/LCD! CNET just published an article that plasmas actually get somewhat dimmer!

LCD burn-in? Ha Ha!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac31391 /forum/post/20885911

They're not any plasmas brighter than LED/LCD! CNET just published an article that plasmas actually get somewhat dimmer!

LCD burn-in? Ha Ha!

Your typical Samsung LED shill crap. Keep it up and I'll take a picture of my LCD monitor with the brightness turned all the way up. Right now I'm actually running slides in the background to get rid of some afterimage in the grayscale (gonna leave it running overnight) and just leaving a static screen on from browsing for a few minutes while I go do something else causes temporary IR with that setting. That was one reason I turned the brightness down to the minimum possible for this set.

Assuming you actually have a bright LCD (which is questionable since your posts wreak of HDTV envy), I'd bet you've never once looked at your grayscale to check on how farked up it is.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Diplover is right. Bigmac as usual is talking like J6P. LCD is much less susceptible to burn in but with high brightness or persistent image like black bar it can happen over the years.

Plasma is less efficient than CCFL or LED and with ABL they are unlikely to be brighter than LCD. In any case unless your room is very bright, having high brightness is not PQ as it distorts your grayscale, just as oversaturated colors is not PQ.

·
Registered
272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET /forum/post/20883132

The Panasonic ST30 can get plenty bright on the high brightness setting. Color accuracy is sacrificed but you can still get quite a good picture out of it.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I've read reviews of the 2011 Plasmas by sammy and panny. Seems the trend is lower light output to conserve power and get a few bucks off the energy rating. I'm not too happy with that. I like to see some brightness in my Plasmas, not everything should be film like. I'm glad I bought a couple of 2010 sets the S2 and C8000. Both are pretty bright.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.