AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I may be in the market for a new receiver due to the fact that my new system will use HDMI and my current denon 3805 only handles component. Rather then buy a whole new receiver I was wondering if there is a way I could just use my PC. The only problem I see is that I need to be able to input 1 or 2 video sources and have them sent out of the audio card and video card. Are there any products to do such a thing? The two components are my PS3 and U-verse.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Did you think about getting a separate HDMI capable video switcher? Run the video through the HDMI switcher and the audio through SPDIF to the receiver.

You'll still be stuck with the legacy SPDIF audio formats (can't upgrade to DTSHDMA/TrueHD) but the cost would be less.

Monoprice has a couple that seem to get good press around here, but I've never used an outboard switcher (much less an HDMI switcher) so ymmv.

FWIW, I think you are looking for a big box of fail to try and make a computer act like a pre/pro. Many before have tried...

-Suntan

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Suntan that wont work, I still need the computer to control volume.

Well I want to use the 3805 in a different room.

What I want is something like this

source -----> Pc------->Amp+Screen.

I can do this if I only use my PC for all my media but I want to use my uverse and ps3 as well. To match the sound quality of my PC I would have to spend thousands on a receiver, which I really can't afford.

·
Registered
30,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
No, there's no product that can make a PC work like a pre-pro. Nothing that will accept HDMI in and decode audio, etc.
Too bad. OTOH, there are prepros that can be completely controlled from a PC.

·
Registered
30,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
No, there's no product that can make a PC work like a pre-pro. Nothing that will accept HDMI in and decode audio, etc.
Too bad. OTOH, there are prepros that can be completely controlled from a PC.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
and they are VERY pricey....

and they are VERY pricey....

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Denon AVR-2809Ci is a bit cheaper...

Denon AVR-2808Ci is a little older and still good...

·
Registered
1,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan /forum/post/19608122

I fail to see how receivers having a serial input for control commands has anything to do with solving the issue of the OP?

-Suntan

as there currently no add on cards that do the job of a pre/pro (that I am aware of), you need an external pre/pro... with the addition of an external control mechanism (aka serial control) you can control everything from the PC... so in effect while they may be separate 'boxes' they can operate as 'one' single unified piece of equipment. almost like a 'card'

note: I am not claiming this is the one and only true path to happiness... its just an option...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek K. /forum/post/19608129

those denons aren't pre/pros.

um, yes they are... they have preamp's, they do processing... what more could you want from a pre/pro?

and as an added bonus they have amps too...

note: I actually have a Lex MC12, that generally is considered a 'real' (or whatever) Pre/pro, but based on the fact the the OP was looking for a lower cost option, the ~ $10K for a Lex seemed a bit much... but I admit I could be wrong on that too...

as a general rule, never take anything I say as advice...

·
Registered
30,788 Posts
Actually, I was thinking about prepros that are network controllable. I can control the Marantz AV7005 from my PC or, wirelessly, from my laptop as it is on the network.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The whole purpose is to use the PC as the pre/pro and an external amp. My soundcard sounds light years better then my 3805 when it is used as a pre and that is saying a lot because the 3805 sounds wonderful. The second anyone makes either an inboard or outboard card that can take in multiple hdmi/component/audio sources and send the data on through the audio card and video card the pre/pro as we know it will die.

An HTPC will become more then just a source in the near future the question is when. The tech should be available to do this today, shame no-one knows of anyone making a product like this.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts

Quote:
The second anyone makes either an inboard or outboard card that can take in multiple hdmi/component/audio sources

Lots of those around....pick any modern pre-amp or receiver...

Quote:
and send the data on through the audio card and video card the pre/pro as we know it will die.

The question is WHY? Your sound card sounds "light years ahead" because of the DACs, which are presumably better than the 3805. If this external box you describe is built to aggregate audio, then you're using the DACs in THAT box, and connecting to your sound card. It probably won't sound the same as the PC's sound to the card to amps, because of the transfers.

Quote:
The tech should be available to do this today, shame no-one knows of anyone making a product like this.

It is. Read above.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/19608835

Actually, I was thinking about prepros that are network controllable. I can control the Marantz AV7005 from my PC or, wirelessly, from my laptop as it is on the network.

the only way I control my Lex is with CQC... I lost the Lex remote years ago...

I can do pretty much the same thing... just at the lex its over RS232... but since that is hooked up to CQC you can then do anything any way...

as for the PC as a Pre/Pro, I do think its a cool idea... just there is no real hardware to do it...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone /forum/post/19610425

Lots of those around....pick any modern pre-amp or receiver...

The question is WHY? Your sound card sounds "light years ahead" because of the DACs, which are presumably better than the 3805. If this external box you describe is built to aggregate audio, then you're using the DACs in THAT box, and connecting to your sound card. It probably won't sound the same as the PC's sound to the card to amps, because of the transfers.

It is. Read above.

I was going to leave a sarcastic remark but sarcasm just doesn't work well online. Kapone, I think You have totally missed the point of what I would like to do. My point is that the pre/pro design is antiquated and I would like to move ahead by using my PC as the pre/pro. A PC can do everything a pre/pro can do and a whole lot more. ie. video processing and DRC. It can also do this a whole lot cheaper when compared to the price of a high end pre/pro. When dealing with digital audio+video the only DACs that mater are the output dacs. The addition of component and analog audio would be to allow use of legacy devices such as an NES or PS2. An external pre/pro then becomes superfluous.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Kapone isn't missing anything. He's just being wylie, as you are choosing to ignore the reality that has been laid out in front of you.

No one is disagreeing that a PC as a pre/pro woud be great if it could be done. We're just saying, you're not the first person to come up with the idea. It gets brought up a couple of times a year, year in and year out. HDMI, DVI, HD SDI, Component, S vid, Composite inputs for switching, they've all been asked for over the years. It's all been postulated the same way you've suggested (complete with the preminition that when it does happen it will be the end of the pre/pro.) But it hasn't. As such, we're just having a bit of a row with you while offering that you shouldn't hold your breath waiting for it.

-Suntan

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
His wylieness isn't lost on me but I guess I was thinking he missed just how big of a thing this is not to exist. I was going to be funny but my humor is sarcastic and damn if it just doesn't translate online sometimes.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.