AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to upgrade to DirecTV HD. I know that I would need to change out my dish...

Is there a card that I can put in my HTPC that will replace the receiver? It would be nicer to have it on my HTPC, and then just run VGA to my projector.

Does this exist?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Is there a way to save DTV HD to your hard drive or do you have to wait for a DTV Tivo to come out?

I'm planning... So let me get this straight... If you have DTVHD you can not really use you're comp recording by piping it through there in any way. Its either watch DTVHD through a diff input in your receiver or if you want HD for your comp and want to record it you need a PCHD card but that will only give you the local stations over your antenna or cable.

Thx for the input

·
Registered
726 Posts
There was one rumored to exist but the maker seems to disavow its existence, and good luck finding usable software. I don't think Dish, etc. would want them to exist either so the chance of getting decryption keys is probably nil.

If you can set your computer up to look like a firewire storage device, it might operate with some HD recievers.

·
Registered
370 Posts
This is really better covered in the HD Recorders forum topic

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=260224

Basically, DirecTV has at various times promised that a future box will have firewire output, but has yet to deliver. A company, 169time, has modified certain DirecTV STB models to output firewire--this is a hack which works well enough for some and not well enough for others.

Dish has actually shipped STB with firewire connections on them, but they are currently nonfunctional, although they have promised software updates to get them to work someday in the future. (169time again has modified existing boxes...)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I think that we may be drifting off topic slightly.

I am interested in tuning DirecTV channels on my HTPC - not recording.

I am looking for a receiver for DirecTV that is a card that goes in my computer...

Does it exist?

·
Registered
370 Posts
The best you can do today is to get an IR transmitter for your computer so it can control your DirecTV box.

Didn't realize that Halstead--that should be more reliable.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Many DirectTV boxes have an RS232 input, which allows you to drive the channel changes through a serial cable using Girder or HE Remote. I'm currently using Girder to change the channels on my Motorola DCT2000 digital cable box, a similar situation.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I am currenly tunining

in Direct TV usins

VP-1020a DVB card,

Tsreader 2

& VLC

With a long but worth it plugin and congiguration

Your better off tunning In BEV, for HD,PVR and all the other candy

·
Registered
159 Posts
Don't know about DirecTV as it uses the oddball DSS standard.

Most other sat providers use DVB standard, and yes you can use one of those DVB-S PCI tuner cards to receive HDTV programming from Dish (very limited) and Bev (nice amount of HDTV) sats.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shayking
I am currenly tunining

in Direct TV usins

VP-1020a DVB card,

Tsreader 2

& VLC

The VP1020a doesn't have a smartcard slot. And DirecTV is DSS, not DVB. I'm curious to know how you are decoding DirecTV using this combination and no smartcard.

·
Registered
28 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by shayking

I am currenly tunining

in Direct TV usins

VP-1020a DVB card,

Tsreader 2

& VLC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would also like to know how you have done this , if you have infact domne so please pm me your configuration thanks

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
"Get a DVB card, you can get Dishnetwork and BEV - both use the dvb standard."

How is conditional access handled in this regime? Is there a card slot?

·
Registered
16,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GaryHDTV
Illegaly!!
Sounds like a plan to me.............

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.