AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VectorLabs /forum/post/17006062

Basically a speaker that is like an on-wall but goes on the ceiling instead.

Yes, they are called "in-ceiling" speakers. Most typical speaker manufacturers make in-ceiling versions of their on-wall variants.

What intended use did you have in mind? Budget? Some in-ceiling speakers have aim-able tweeters.

Although, one side effect of using in-ceiling speakers is that the stereo field does not come from in front of you like it should, instead it comes from above which can be disconcerting.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega /forum/post/17006084

Yes, they are called "in-ceiling" speakers. Most typical speaker manufacturers make in-ceiling versions of their on-wall variants.

What intended use did you have in mind? Budget? Some in-ceiling speakers have aim-able tweeters.

Although, one side effect of using in-ceiling speakers is that the stereo field does not come from in front of you like it should, instead it comes from above which can be disconcerting.

Well the thing with in-ceiling is that you have to cut a hole in ceiling to fit the speaker. I am talking on-wall style where the speaker comes in a cabinet already and you just mount it. Basically the new place we are moving to I don't want to cut holes in the ceiling for the surround and would just like to mount something like how you mount an on-wall.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VectorLabs /forum/post/17006097

Well the thing with in-ceiling is that you have to cut a hole in ceiling to fit the speaker. I am talking on-wall style where the speaker comes in a cabinet already and you just mount it. Basically the new place we are moving to I don't want to cut holes in the ceiling for the surround and would just like to mount something like how you mount an on-wall.

My Polk LSiFx and LSiCs have brackets on them and come with templates for screwing them to a wall. I don't know of any reason you couldn't do that with the celling. Though finding a stud or something other than drywall would be HIGHLY advisable. I know they do this with the LSi7s and LSi9s, presumably other models as well. I can't imagine they're the only ones that do.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
There has been such a thing around from time to time, but there's not much demand for it. On-ceiling without holes means you're going to run the wires along the wall and across the ceiling. Though with flat wire or paintable wire, or certain rooms, maybe it's possible to do that without looking too bad.

You can mount the Mirage OS3 or Nanosat on the ceiling or wall with very good results. (Ask for advice, it's not obvious where to place them.) They are light enough that you don't need huge mounting hardware.

It's also possible you could use in-ceiling speakers and build a box for them.

But I'm guessing if you thought about it, or asked about your setup, you'd find on-walls may be able to do the job for you.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ /forum/post/17006868

There has been such a thing around from time to time, but there's not much demand for it. On-ceiling without holes means you're going to run the wires along the wall and across the ceiling. Though with flat wire or paintable wire, or certain rooms, maybe it's possible to do that without looking too bad.

You can mount the Mirage OS3 or Nanosat on the ceiling or wall with very good results. (Ask for advice, it's not obvious where to place them.) They are light enough that you don't need huge mounting hardware.

It's also possible you could use in-ceiling speakers and build a box for them.

But I'm guessing if you thought about it, or asked about your setup, you'd find on-walls may be able to do the job for you.

Yeah on-walls would be nice but the back wall is way too far back from the couch and one wall has a door to the backyard and the other side is open to the kitchen. I was checking around and found this speaker from speakercraft.

Speakercraft AIM MDU

Is there anything else like this? Or maybe some sort of dome speaker that can be mounted flush to the ceiling.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMAN21 /forum/post/17008043

Just what you need

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_684PPT1...-2.html?tp=191

Yeah that is pretty much what I am looking for but at $1500 each, ouch....

For some reason the AIM MDU pic doesn't appear anymore so here is another. There anything else like this at a much lower price point?

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
You might want to say whether you're looking for surrounds, front, center, or what.

Mirage speakers will do what you need. You mount them upside down.

This looks a little like the one you mentioned ... it says it can be mounted horizontally or vertically. More info

There are mounts to hang more conventional speakers off the ceiling.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ /forum/post/17010758

You might want to say whether you're looking for surrounds, front, center, or what.

Mirage speakers will do what you need. You mount them upside down.

This looks a little like the one you mentioned ... it says it can be mounted horizontally or vertically. More info

There are mounts to hang more conventional speakers off the ceiling.

Sorry I posted on the third post that I was looking for surrounds. That KEF speaker looks like it fits the bill exactly like the speakercraft, thanks for posting that link.

This is basically the layout of the new living room and I am unsure whether to do 5.1 or go for 7.1.

The red lines are basically how I though the surrounds would face. Do you think the room is long enough to accommodate 7.1?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.