AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to make sure I can play 2 channel music using the rears in a 5.1 setup - so it would be 4.1 with the left/right speakers getting the proper signals. I'm not talking about Pro-Logic ll as I don't want the center channel used and I've never been a fan of PLll when I had an AVR. Just basic 2-channel but 4.1 instead. I was able to do this with an old Onkyo [ten years ago,] and my Logitech Z-5500 PC speakers but it's been a while since I've had an AVR.

With all the surround features and whatnot, it gets pretty confusing as this isn't really advertised from what I can tell.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Setup with omission of a center channel wasn't my question. I still want 5.1 for movies and games. I just want to make sure I can send the stereo signal to to the rear speakers as well as the front L/R when listening to music.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace79  /t/1523237/is-this-a-basic-feature-in-avrs/0_100#post_24501376

Setup with omission of a center channel wasn't my question. I still want 5.1 for movies and games. I just want to make sure I can send the stereo signal to to the rear speakers as well as the front L/R when listening to music.

if you were to use the "all channel stereo" dsp and disable the center channel in your avr you should be able to get stereo to play from your fronts and rears. Kinda weird way to play stereo though...but if that is what you want it is possible.

·
Registered
29,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace79  /t/1523237/is-this-a-basic-feature-in-avrs#post_24501376

Turn off the center when listening to music. use all channel stereo and you'll get left and right stereo for front and surrounds like you wish.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, well I remember my onkyo had all channel stereo too but what it did was mix the 2-channel signal into every speaker therefore losing "stereo." It also had an A/B speakers switch where my B speakers were the surrounds in my 5.1 setup. If I wanted my 2-channel stereo to go into 4- channel, I could just turn the B speakers on in conjunction with the A speakers, my mains. I now had actual stereo with more than two speakers. So, if I were sitting in the MLP, I could hear left channel sounds, and right channel sounds. I hope this makes things easier to understand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts