AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. So far I have been reading (obsessing
avsforum everyday for the last couple months. So far I have (thanks to the forum) bought the Velodyne CHT front row speakers (4 surrounds, 1 center) and the Panasonic x55 receiver. I just got both in and am waiting for my cables to arrive (1 optical cable and 100' 14awg cable from monoprice). I'm psyched! (oh yeah, almost forgot - I have a 42 inch panasonic plasma).

So, I think I have a pretty big room unfortunately, and am starting to plan on a sub to save for. Whatever I get has to pass by the wife, and man she is being a little stickler about where I'm going to put it, etc... ha. My house is a country style house (1650 sq ft) and the living room opens to the kitchen and the living room has a vaulted ceiling that goes all the way up to the second level where there is a loft and little hallway. There are steps that go from the living room to the upstairs. The living room is 12' from the tv wall to this little half wall that seperates it from the kitchen. The kitchen is then about 10' more of floor. The length is 17'. so i guess basically, the downstairs (counting the kitchen and living room together, ignoring that little seperator half wall) is about 26' by 19' with a huge ceiling in the living room (opening to the loft upstairs) and about 8' celings in the kitchen.

I apologize for my horrible explanation of the space - man am I bad at explaining that stuff! But I'm gathering this is a big room. So, I'll also preface this with the fact that I am an amateur recording studio/producer type guy, so I apprecaite good sound (and I'm a bass player).

I basically want a great sounding system. I'm ok if I don't feel the pressurizing effect of the sub, and I don't want two subs, and I don't need this to shake the whole house down, but I want some good bass and boom for HT stuff. And I certaintly appreciate a fine piece of audio equipment.

With that said I have done a lot of research. At first I have looked at the Bic H-100 type of setup (with cost in mind), but I'm not sure if that is enough beef for a decent system in my room? Then I've seen things like the PB-10 which looks nice, and the PB-12...and all the HSU subs, etc... Since I have no formal experience with subs for HT and the size of my room, can you folks give me some advice?

I would love to spend the lowest amount of money, but if I really need to spend more I may. I definitely have a max of $600ish (doubt I can get that approved by the wife even). What i would really like is to spend less than $400 (or less than $300), but it seems that may not be the best idea.

thoughts? thanks!

p.s. has anyone tried those little stands that go on top of a tv that holds the center channel (I think they are from omni..something? Are they safe to use on a plasma with a 12lb center you think?

·
Banned
5,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberslacker /forum/post/0

I apologize for my horrible explanation of the space - man am I bad at explaining that stuff! But I'm gathering this is a big room. So, I'll also preface this with the fact that I am an amateur recording studio/producer type guy, so I apprecaite good sound (and I'm a bass player).

Welcome

Mate I think you should be too where's the pictures, pictures as they say says a thousand words.

Well your going to need something big something huge something that is designed for motion picture soundtracks in mind. The JBL 4642 should fill the room with ample low end support with credibility, all you need to do is look around for the best buy and a good amplifier to driver her with an active frequency x over.

Has for shaking the house from its foundations, your right there's no need that's what the volume controls are for. But the JBL will be able to play any film you throw at it and it's used in the real word what more can I say.

Specifications JBL 4642A
http://www.jblpro.com/pub/cinema/4642a.pdf

If that's too large for you then you can always try the JBL 4645C.

Specifications JBL 4645C
http://www.jblpro.com/pub/cinema/4645c.pdf

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cheapest speaker you mentioned is $900 and unpowered (plus amplifier would be much more). I'm not sure if I'm that much of an enthusiast. Any of the hsu, svs, bic subs that will work?

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
uberslacker

Well looks like some like SVS if it fits the budget mind you my JBL 4645 only set me back £180.00 and that was 8 years ago and she's still performing solidly.

If you looked at the second-hand pre used cinema PA equipment you'll be surprised with what you can walk away with LOL, mind you do have to pay for it. You'll be surprised.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.