AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sharp LCD ( LC-42d64u )

I also have a cheap home theatre in a box that lacks an optical input for my ps3

Here is my problem...

I run my ps3 into my TV with an HDMI cable...

I then run from my tv to my HTIB ... AUDIO out with the analog red and whites

The sound actually loses momentum with the film so if i have my tv sound on with my home theatre sound it gets an echo... and is quite annoying...

So i have two questions:

Should i call a tech out to fix this? (if they cant fix it they replace it)

Do they make an adapter that can transfer an optical signal basically downconverting it into analog so i can connect it through the old fashioned red and whites to get surround while watching my blu rays

ANY help would be greatly appreciated thx

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Well, there's several problems with your setup.

First, if you have a HTIB, why are you using the TV's speakers, too? There's no real way that you're going to be able to fix that audio delay you're hearing when you do that.

Second, I understand that you only have the option of using R/L analog audio with your HTIB (the red and white cables). However, you do understand that you're not getting true surround sound with this, right? What you're hearing is basically Dolby Pro Logic from about 15 years ago, where a 2.0 stereo channel is matrixed into all the speakers to APPEAR to be surround sound. If you're listening to blu-rays this way, you are missing a LOT of audio information.

I think your best option, if you can afford it, is to at the very least upgrade your HTIB to a model with at least 1 or 2 optical inputs and DD/DTS decoding ability. Next step up would be a HTIB with HDMI input, to take advantage of the HD audio codecs that can only be passed via HDMI from the PS3 (optical can only carry dolby digital or DTS legacy codecs). Make sure the system can accept LPCM signals via HDMI, since the PS3 internally decodes the audio and then sends it via PCM to the receiver (so the receiver doesn't have to have on-board decoding for TrueHD and DTS-HD MA). The best bet would be an A/V receiver (or pre/pro and amp) and separate speakers.

If you're dead set on using a HTIB, check out some of the systems available from Onkyo that would allow you to tap into the 5.1 and 7.1 discrete surround soundtracks that you've got access to with your PS3. Onkyo HTIB's are fairly well regarded (for what they are).

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thx schroedk for getting back to me quickly

ok i want to buy an onkyo 705 sometime this year unless something comes out better

i never realized i was getting "fake" surround until now haha

or an integra 6.8 i think it is

so what about the warranty with my tv

should i call a repair guy out because of the delay or is this a waste of time... do all tvs have this problem

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
I guess the answer is all TV's have this problem, but it's not really a problem. The issue isn't with your TV; the issue is that typically when you're using external speakers, you don't also use the TV's speakers. Try muting (or turning off, if that's an option) your TV's speakers and just using your HTIB speakers, and that'll fix your problem right up.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Also, the Onkyo 705 is a good option to get into true surround sound. They may have the 706 out by the time you're ready to jump. Just know that getting deeply into this hobby is a slippery slope. When you get a more critical eye/ear, the urge to upgrade to something "better" is always lingering over you.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk /forum/post/14265373

Also, the Onkyo 705 is a good option to get into true surround sound. They may have the 706 out by the time you're ready to jump. Just know that getting deeply into this hobby is a slippery slope. When you get a more critical eye/ear, the urge to upgrade to something "better" is always lingering over you.

man i know... i miss the good ole days

i used to just love my 27" tube because i could play my xbox 360 on it all day

now i want the best stuff all the time and its like i want to upgrade every 6 MONTHS!!!! HAHA

ill tell u where it started ...

ok i started selling electronics for sears in summer of 2007

i bought my first tv in august (vizio 32)

hated it 2 months later... went out and sold if for 300 bucks

then i went and bought a 32 " sharp 1080p d62u

too small returned it

went out and bought a 42" sharp 1080p

that was about january

now i hate that tv and want a 50 inch plasma IT NEVER ENDS haha but u know what it gives us all something to do other than listen to coasttocoast

1 - 6 of 6 Posts