AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just getting ready to spring for a Onkyo PR-SC886P and noticed it has balanced inputs. I have the NAD T975 amp which is unbalanced. Does this prevent me from using the Onkyo with the NAD amp?

· Registered
4,546 Posts
the onkyo has balanced and RCA just like your Old equipment.

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

Looks like the Onkyo is back in the picture. I was tired of waiting for NAD to get its act together on the T175HD and all of the problems. From what I have read, the Onkyo is about as close as I can come and not spend a fortune.

· Registered
14,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn8kBit /forum/post/16888311

Thank you!

Looks like the Onkyo is back in the picture. I was tired of waiting for NAD to get its act together on the T175HD and all of the problems. From what I have read, the Onkyo is about as close as I can come and not spend a fortune.

I am using the RCA preouts of the 886 to my amp which does not have balanced inputs, works great

Check out shoponkyo for the 886. It is sold as a refurb but the one I received was a new unit and other members have said the same. The price will show lower if you join Club Onkyo. The 886 sold on shoponkyo is the non "P" model which means it does not come with the rack mount kit. I have been very happy with the 886 with my only issue being not enough time to watch movies due to work
. But I can not gripe too much as many people I know are out of work.

Bill

· The Village Idiot
9,902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn8kBit /forum/post/16888444

I wondered why some units had the P after the model number and some didn't. Thank you for the heads up. So can the rack kit be added later if needed?

The "P" models designate a Pro model. Only difference that I know of is it comes with rack mounts.

· Registered
14,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn8kBit /forum/post/16888444

I wondered why some units had the P after the model number and some didn't. Thank you for the heads up. So can the rack kit be added later if needed?

Yes, I believe you can buy the rack kit from Onkyo if needed. With a little digging it seems that the PR-SC886 is a non-USA model as shown on Onkyo Europe site.

http://www.eu.onkyo.com/products/PR-SC886.html

This is the PR-SC886P as shown on the Onkyo Professional US site.

http://www.onkyopro.com/model.cfm?m=...eamplifier&p=i

For some reason it seems shoponkyo is selling the 886s from the European market. Maybe they are not selling well over in Europe (uneducated guess
). Other than the rack mount kit they are identical units.

Bill

· Registered
14,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn8kBit /forum/post/16889384

Any downsides to matching the NAD T975 to the Onkyo pre-amp? Can I do better in this price range?

No downsides at all
. Although I have never heard the T975 I would think it is an excellent amp. The only minor issue I see is that at the cost of the T975 I feel it should have included balanced inputs. But that is not a big deal and the 886/T975 should be a fine combo

As far as doing better in the T975s price range you could do some research on what other amps are in that price range. The amps from Outlaw and Emotiva come to mind. Spearit Sound in Boston is an authorized NAD dealer and sometimes runs specials on NAD products. Here is a link from Audiogon from Spearit:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....el-power-amp-w

Bill

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Bill Mac. I already own the T975 and was waiting for the NAD T175HD preamp to match with it. However, I've been following the T175 thread and there are all kinds of problems with that pre-amp. Thanks for your assistance Bill Mac.

· Registered
14,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn8kBit /forum/post/16890129

Thanks Bill Mac. I already own the T975 and was waiting for the NAD T175HD preamp to match with it. However, I've been following the T175 thread and there are all kinds of problems with that pre-amp. Thanks for your assistance Bill Mac.

Well then you are all set
! I think you will find the 886/T975 will be an excellent combo. The cost of the T175HD will be quite a bit more than the 886 from shoponkyo. Also I would be somewhat hesitant to be an early T175HD owner. You will be almost like a beta tester for NAD which is not a bad thing if all the bugs are worked out
. But all in all there is not a perfect prepro/receiver out there so no matter which one you buy there could be issues.

Bill

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, hopefully Bill Mac or somebody else can answer these (hopefully) two questions. My display is the Pioneer PRO-111FD which is the Kuro 9G the author below refers to. Please read his quote below:

"The Reon upgrade allows ISF video calibration which is convenient but not that useful if you prefer to do your de-interlacing and video scaling on your flat panel display. Some displays, such as the Pioneer Kuro 9G plasmas, provide higher quality video processing circuitry. In fact, 24 FPS PureCinema film mode doesn't operate with a 1080p source, so Reon processing could even be detrimental in this particular case."

Is this something I should be concerned about? Does the Onkyo PR-SC886 have a pass through feature that would allow the Pioneer to do the scaling?

One more quote that I found that caught my attention.

"I was able to play with the Denon 3808 receiver on a Kuro 151 and was very impressed since it can overlay volume, settings and menu (everything) over 1080p/24; the only receiver I have found able to do this so far and solve my problem since it has all the same features the Kuro has built in (and more), allowing me to run everything through the receiver and never lose my onscreen volume on the Kuro."

Will the Onkyo operate like the Denon?

· The Village Idiot
9,902 Posts
The 886 has a passthrough video option.

I wouldn't worry too much about what Denon does and Onkyo doesn't or vice versa. That overlay feature is nice - does not come on the 885 - I own one - but I think it does on the 886. Bill Mac can answer that better than I can.

There comes a time when more research will only cloud the question of which to buy. Onkyo is hands down one of the best buys for the money right now.

Until the Emotiva UMC-1 comes to market...then we'll see what we see.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.