AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased this LG 65LB5200 from BB last week. I've got about another week to return this. I'm happy with everything aside from the issue in the attached images.

Questions:

1. Is this a defect?
2. Anyway to resolve this?
3. Should I return and exchange for the same model?
4. Is there an official term for this issue?

Answered:

1. Yes. Though depending on the severity and manufacturer it may be considered within tolerance.
2. None identified at this time. Seems to be a panel defect requiring replacement of the panel.
3. Should return. Not clear if there are units without this issue. Will update later.
4. Banding and in this case "Radial Banding"

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Is it a defect? Yes. In LG's eyes and other manufacturers is it acceptable? Yes. You can exchange it, but chances are it will have the same defects, if not worse. It comes with LCD tech, and the larger the screen, the more obvious the inherent defects become.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes I returned 2 brand new sets with the same problem. I replaced it with a Sony 60" and didn't notice any gray uniformity issues as bad as the LG

Also because I couldn't completely turn off the 120hz motion flow as you probably noticed when moving the mouse input lag/motion blur is horrible.

Return it while you can it's a nightmare to use as a PC monitor. I'd recommend a Sony TV they usually have the lowest input lag and Game mode disables any motion effect the mouse moves flawlessly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the input. I welcome more opinions on this.

This is looking to be a rough decision. I'd like to get a TV in the same price range ($750) but this may be the best you get for that price. Can anyone suggest a model close to this that wouldn't suffer from the same issues?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Best alternative in that price/size is the Samsung UN65H6203 PCrichards has it for $998 free shipping no tax but the bezel is old school and ugly. There's also Sharps latest 65" Aquos 2015 model for $999 at Best Buy but it already has a user reporting reboot issues so probably best to steer clear of that.

If you search Craigslist you might be able to find a good 65" open box and make a offer, most are willing to shave off $200 from asking price. Vizio M652i-B2 Samsung UN65H635 are the next best sets in $1299 price range.

I have the Sony KDL60R510A it can be found online for $799 and it a great set.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts