AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Can a wireless video signal be sent to a remote or touchscreen? If so, can that remote have the abilit of sending RF, and be able to load loading a downloaded program (i.e. program manager) over wi-fi ?

Don't know if this is possible, but what I want to do is be able to see my sony megachanger (no rs232) on a remote in the same way it displays on my tv, and be able to control that library like i do the remote.

The want to access the internet is so I can also control my yamaha receiver, which i can do now with my laptop?

PF

·
Registered
10,869 Posts
Sony megachanger CD or DVD / BD player?

Short answer is it's not a dumb idea, but I don't think there's any easy way to do that on any device that isn't (a) a laptop with a bunch of other infrastructure stuff to deal with capturing the video or (b) 10-30x the price of that megachanger.

If it's a CD changer, by far the best answer is to replace it with a Sonos device.

If it's a DVD changer, it probably won't work the way you'd want anyway, since "driving" the interface is what you'd see on the TV, so for DVD's doesn't seem to be a useful addition. If it's for music, see previous paragraph...

Jeff

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor /forum/post/19637666

Sony megachanger CD or DVD / BD player?

Short answer is it's not a dumb idea, but I don't think there's any easy way to do that on any device that isn't (a) a laptop with a bunch of other infrastructure stuff to deal with capturing the video or (b) 10-30x the price of that megachanger.

If it's a CD changer, by far the best answer is to replace it with a Sonos device.

If it's a DVD changer, it probably won't work the way you'd want anyway, since "driving" the interface is what you'd see on the TV, so for DVD's doesn't seem to be a useful addition. If it's for music, see previous paragraph...

Jeff

thanks for the reply.

It is a sony bluray megachager 960.

I have an idea, but not sure if this will work. Right now I access the library on the actual t.v. and navigate with the remote. The bluray has component out and composite for video out (as well as hdmi to the receiver), and the receiver has the same video outs as well.

If I connect an external monitor from the receiver video out by composite, and have that monitor near by, and have a RF remote (or wired if necessary) sending signals to the bluray player, would this not effectively do what I want, it will also play the movie if I want on that monitor. But because it is a remote as well, it will control all other devices.

Does this make sense.

So if the bluray player is connect by hdmi to the receiver, and it is outputted to my main tv by hdmi out from the receiver and at the same time by composite (or svideo) to the display, the harmony, when I press "access library", it will swith my yamaha to svideo out, turn on the bluray player and the small monitor (if that's possible to turn on remotely...but because it is on the same table or platform as the remote it can be turned on manually anyways). Now the other buttons on the remote can be arrows and an enter key to navigate the library. But I attach a macro to the enter or select button. For when I press the enter button, the harmony does the 'enter' for the bluray - selecting that movie - and shuts off the display, swithes the receiver to hdmi out.

Now, if the monitor was also connected to a pc, and if the remote can control the pc wirelessly (not sure if a harmony can do this or not), then I can access the "program manager" for the yamaha receiver which is wif based.

I know this is a bit confusing as I am tapping into computers and remotes and connectivity and video switching.

If I would have got the sony 7000, I think it would all be possible with an ipad.

PF

·
Registered
10,869 Posts
I'm sorry, I'm not following what you're trying to accomplish. Every output from that BD changer is going to show the same thing. If you've selected the menu to scroll through the discs, you'll see that on the HDMI output as well as the component/composite/whatever.

You say that you're trying to use it as a remote. Yes, it would be very cool to use an iPad to scroll through the movies in the changer, select one and have it start playing. Unfortunately, your player doesn't have any way to accomplish that...

Jeff

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor /forum/post/19638502

I'm sorry, I'm not following what you're trying to accomplish. Every output from that BD changer is going to show the same thing. If you've selected the menu to scroll through the discs, you'll see that on the HDMI output as well as the component/composite/whatever.

You say that you're trying to use it as a remote. Yes, it would be very cool to use an iPad to scroll through the movies in the changer, select one and have it start playing. Unfortunately, your player doesn't have any way to accomplish that...

Jeff

Not quite. I'm not going to use it as a remote, I'll use a remote that I attach to it that will send RF signals to the equipement. It will just look like it is one remote.

Get it?

·
Registered
10,869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfreud55 /forum/post/19642996

Not quite. I'm not going to use it as a remote, I'll use a remote that I attach to it that will send RF signals to the equipement. It will just look like it is one remote.

Get it?

Nope. What's the display for? Are you not going to be in front of a TV while watching / queuing up a BD/DVD? Sorry if I'm just being dense...

Jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.