AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This mostly relates to film. If I am watching a movie (from Dish or BD), and there is a scene which appears blurry (in motion), if I freeze a frame and the frozen frame is appears blurry, is it safe to say that the artifact is in the source and not the display? Does the same test apply for other motion artifacts like ghosting, smearing, trailing, etc. (i.e. if frozen frame exhibit the same problem then it is the source??)

What about judder, is there a equivalent test? If I am outputting 1080p/24fps from my BD player and my TV indicates 24Hz and I still see some judder is it safe to say that the judder is due to 24fps film signal since I am not doing 3:2 pulldown?

Please comment.

· Registered
16,749 Posts
Since film is recorded at 24fps and even when using a 48fps shutter speed it is stiill possible for the objects to acually move while the shutter is open which of course would appear blurred. Just like using slow shutter speeds and film in a regular camera.

This type of motion blur is as stated in the source and is not the same as motion blur cause by slow responding LCD displays or by the "sample and hold" characteristic of LCD dissplays.

· Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18125878

Since film is recorded at 24fps and even when using a 48fps shutter speed it is stiill possible for the objects to acually move while the shutter is open which of course would appear blurred. Just like using slow shutter speeds and film in a regular camera.

This type of motion blur is as stated in the source and is not the same as motion blur cause by slow responding LCD displays or by the "sample and hold" characteristic of LCD dissplays.

So is my test valid then for blur, etc?

C'mon, so many experts here and just one reply???

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.