AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm seriously wondering if i should try to snap up another LT150 before the entire stock dries up.

i'm really loving this thing now, after the sounds been hooked up, room organized, and i can just sit down and watch a movie from start to finish...

i just never, ever want to be without a projector at least as good as this one.

since i'll have to buy a bulb eventually anyway, i'm wondering if i should just buy another pj.

do you think 2 years from now we'll see another one priced under $3000 to rival the PQ of this little powerpack?

i know pjs are getting better by leaps and bounds, but i wonder what the prices will be like .

also, anybody care to conjecture on the lifespan of the moving parts to these things. should i just figure on topping out at 2000 hrs and by then looking for something else on the cheap?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
I've got a room full of these things. I am hoping that Thumper will modify one of mine, and if so, I will still have two left to use. The first one I bought had a connection problem and went in for repairs (before I contacted NEC and they replaced it) and I was given a loaner - I suffered from withdrawal (I also had my Marantz at the time). I decided I didn't want to be without so when the price dropped, well...

I am hoping that Infocus and other manufacturers will come up with someting really good at a resonable price (16:9) and this will force the traditional HT companies to become much more competitive. After buying the Dell LT150 it is really hard to take some of the pricing for the HT projectors seriously.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I wouldn't pass the LT150 up. I don't think we'll see a better value for some time. I just got one finally! I plan to use it for years if it lasts that long. It looks as good as the $17,000 Runco I saw at Epcot with an HTPC!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
That Runco was hooked up to an HTPC? I walked out and glanced at the equipment. (all that equipment would take up half of my garage). I think they went overboard with the equipment

·
Registered
950 Posts
You seem to be a sensible guy, and I've read your posts with great relish, but here's the rub I see.

This pj will last at least 2 years, it's paid for, and you're enjoying it now. In 2 years, now that you've been bitten by the projector bug, you KNOW you'll want the next greatest pj to come along, and unless you can recoup a good portion of the expenditure for 2 pj's from e-bay or private sale, I'd wait.

If you use this pj often, your capital outlay for bulbs is going to be significant. Of course, my assumption is that you would care to save $$$. If that's not the case, then maybe your funds could be better spent right now. If a better unit comes along, and you know it will in 2 years, will you have the funds available to purchase this NEW, and certainly more expensive toy????

Untimately, we will all see improvements and price increases. My experience has been, when a new product comes around, they're expensive!!

After a while, the price drops. If you like what you have, buy another, otherwise....

Cheers, VB

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Who knows, by the time your LT150 breaks you may be able to pick up a used Sharp XV9000 for under $3000.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.