AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I use a Onkyo 304 to power 8 aura bass shakers, and it works perfectly, and it gives me remote volume control to the shakers.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can get the amp above for $80 the Onkyo 304 is nearly 2x that price.

I was advised to stay away from receivers and use a dedicate amp for them.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrindor /forum/post/14254392

I was advised to stay away from receivers and use a dedicate amp for them.

who told you that...

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPainMD /forum/post/14254619

who told you that...

SVS, some user on this forum, a RL friend... =/

So your saying a receiver would be better? All receivers I see are 6OHMs min, so I'd need to wire them for 8ohms.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrindor /forum/post/14254669

SVS, some user on this forum, a RL friend... =/

So your saying a receiver would be better? All receivers I see are 6OHMs min, so I'd need to wire them for 8ohms.

I use 1 shaker off the left and right channel, 4 ohms each there. 8ohms for the rest: Two off the center. Two off the surround left and two off surround right.

On a $100 refurb receiver.

One shakers are not sent a signal all the time, so it is not a heavy non stop usage through most movies. Second I have a inaudible fan over the heatsinks. And third I don't think they are 4 ohms for very long IIRC.

Either way I don't think you have much to worry about. 6 ohm rating on receivers are guidelines not rules.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I am running 2 pairs of shakers wired in series to bring them to 8 ohms.

I am using a 25+ yrs old 50wpc intergrated kenwood amp for a few years without any problem.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. Does this wiring look correct to you guys for a 4OHM load? (According to this.. this amp can handle 65W per channel (up to 2 channels) at 4OHM.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinhTD /forum/post/14255087

I would use one more Y splitter to use both channels of the amp.

What is the benefits of that? (I'm really new to this stuff..)

·
Registered
311 Posts
balance out the load on both channels instead of putting everything on one side of the amp.

think of the shakers as your speakers. Would you put both speakers on one channel or would you rather put one on each channel?

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinhTD /forum/post/14255139

balance out the load on both channels instead of putting everything on one side of the amp.

think of the shakers as your speakers. Would you put both speakers on one channel or would you rather put one on each channel?

Makes sense, also.. my sub has 2 inputs, i've only been using 1. Should I buy a Y adapter for that too? I heard that some subs perform better like that.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Please read the sub manual and see what they recommend.

Most people would use just 1 input.

Me, I preferred using both. That way, I don't have to crank up on the input gain know

·
Registered
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinhTD /forum/post/14255302

Please read the sub manual and see what they recommend.

Most people would use just 1 input.

Me, I preferred using both. That way, I don't have to crank up on the input gain know

+1

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im reading that input 1 on this amp i'm buying has a auto off feature that turns the amp off during quiet scenes, music... lots of people hate it. Input 2 does not however... I wonder how it would react if I used both... =/

Maybe I need to look at a different amp..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts