AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is an open box floor model Denon avr-391 for $120 from Best buy a good deal? It's only 5.1 and also 3D capable. Is this receiver any good?

I had previously been looking at the Denon AVR1611 for $300 or the Denon AVR611 and Yamaha V667 for $400. I'm wondering if I should save a bunch of money by getting this floor model and put the money into better speakers and a sub?

I was thinking about starting a 3.1 and adding rears later. I liked the upgrade ability to 7.1 on the other recievers but figured a 5.1 is really the only thing that is necessary.

I am leaning towards the Polk Monitor series or Infinity Primus series speakers. For subs I was looking at the BIC f12.

My system would be used with a Panasonic 58VT25 tv as well as PS3/bluray player.

·
Registered
7,810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydterracer2005 /forum/post/20975030

Is an open box floor model Denon avr-391 for $120 from Best buy a good deal? It's only 5.1 and also 3D capable. Is this receiver any good?

I had previously been looking at the Denon AVR1611 for $300 or the Denon AVR611 and Yamaha V667 for $400. I'm wondering if I should save a bunch of money by getting this floor model and put the money into better speakers and a sub?

I was thinking about starting a 3.1 and adding rears later. I liked the upgrade ability to 7.1 on the other recievers but figured a 5.1 is really the only thing that is necessary.

I am leaning towards the Polk Monitor series or Infinity Primus series speakers. For subs I was looking at the BIC f12.

My system would be used with a Panasonic 58VT25 tv as well as PS3/bluray player.

For the price of that Yamaha 667 you can get the 867 from Newegg. It is a better AVR then the rest on your list IMO.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How about that AvR391 for $120 bucks? Is it total crap or is it still a decent receiver. The only reason I am wondering this is because its $120 vs $400

Thanks for the info on the 867 that does look like a great deal I would definately get that over the others I mentioned.

·
The Village Idiot
9,560 Posts
You get what you pay for. The 391 is the cheapest AVR in the Denon lineup. It doesn't even have Audyssey. You can buy a Denon 589 AVR from dakmart for a few bucks more and it has Audyssey Mult EQ room correction. That 391 is a very basic receiver.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts