Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

perhaps somebody can advise. I have the opportunity to get hold of a G11 demo unit for the price of 5000 US$. I don't know yet how old it is and how many hours are on it, but I will get a new or almost new bulb with it. Mint condition and 6 months JVC warranty.

I will take a look at it sometime later this week.

What do you say?

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
611 Posts
Even if it has a few (mine has 2-4, but I almost never see them, as in twice per year for a 3 sec interval) and if the lamp is a second lamp (a spare) then I think it is a very good deal. Watch video with it before pitching it out because of any pixels. If it is a demo unit, maybe you can demo it for a week and see for yourself.

How did you calculate the six month warranty?

Vince

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Yes, this is a good deal. Do you know if its calibrated or not? If it is, then its an even better deal. Make sure it has low hours on the lamp. A new lamp would set you back about $800 and that would make the deal not as good.

Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally posted by Vlubbers

How did you calculate the six month warranty?

Vince
I could get it directly from JVC in Germany. I was quoted the 6 months. Apparently they offer this kind of warranty on all types of demo units they sell.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Turk
Yes, this is a good deal. Do you know if its calibrated or not? If it is, then its an even better deal. Make sure it has low hours on the lamp. A new lamp would set you back about $800 and that would make the deal not as good.

Thanks!
I seriously doubt it to be calibrated. I may have the chance to get it - at a price of course :rolleyes:

I was promised low lamp hours. There must be some kind of lamp counter, right? Is this easily accessible for verification?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally posted by Dean McManis
Mike,

As long as it doesn't have any bad pixels, it sounds like a very good deal.

Good luck,

-Dean.
`

Sounds great, thanks! I hope this is THE opportunity to rid myself off my trusted old W400 that was with me for almost 3 years. :)

How do you check a D-ILA for bad pixel - are they sometimes stuck as on a regular LCD panel or just dead?

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Pixels stuck in an "off" position are not really noticable. Worry about stuck "on" pixels -- visible when the projector is in "video mute" as a speck of light on the scren -- red, green or blue.

A worse problem, though less common, is to have misaligned panels. This means that when showing a white grid on black background, you see some lines which correctly display pure white and then the pixels immediately next to these are black. With a misaligned panel, you will see color fringes rather than white and black.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First of all, thanks a lot to everybody's helpful comments.

Now, I have taken the journey to D-ILA country. Last night I drove to JVC Professional in Germany, which is about 50 miles from home theater.

The lamp hat 127 hours and the panel features 4 dead pixels, two of which are directly adjacent to one another. Since they are dead (as in constantly off) they are very hard to spot from a distance.

I will run a few tests now and promise to let you know on this forum on how my setup performs after this upgrade.

Thanks again

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.