Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
$2,000.00. This price includes:

One new F38310, reworked ...

Direct TV installation, complete with oval satellite dish (49.95 for another receiver, if I want it)

Free delivery

(an extra $135.00 for a full, 5-year, in-home service, parts and labor warranty)

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
No IMO because on QVC I seen them New for $2200 just 4 days ago. I paid $2999 for mine 1 year ago, it came with a rebate of a RCA RC6000P Progressive Scan DVD. When it comes to refurbished, you should get a

much better break than $400. :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
At Cir City today I bought one for 1,899. For a new one....... Last week the price was 2,299....went down 400 in a week. Also got the guy to give me a $50 disount so really I bought it new for 1,850. Not a bad price...now lets hope I like it!!!!!

Hey SE3...where did you get that in home deal for 5 years at that price...Cir City was offering 5 years at $375.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
vinny,

It's a locally owned dealer called Graham's. They're located in Blanchard, Oklahoma, a small town about 30 miles outside of Oklahoma City (where I live). It is a great deal for a warranty, but I'm a little bit skeptical since I don't know anything about the place.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
btw- The Circuit City here in OKC has the set on sale for $1,934.00, and I'm thinking about buying from them, but that $375.00 warranty is what's holding me back. Best Buy will price match Circuit City, but their warranty is only $25.00 cheaper ($350.00) and it's only 4 years from the date of purchase (not extended).

I currently have a Samsung TSL3293HF (32" 4:3 digital set - great tv, but not widescreen...) which I bought from Best Buy about 2 weeks ago, so I may buy from them due to the convenience of an easy switch-out.

What to do, what to do...

·
Registered
193 Posts
On the Circuit City web page, they are now $1999.

I am one of those tightwad people who shops the Internet for bottom-dollar pricing. I decided to do otherwise for this set, due to its spotty reliability history, the horrible track record of RCA at being responsive to customer needs, and the great specifics of the Circuit City extended warranty. So, I bought one last week at CC for $2299 (less their $50 free-stuff card), but I then benefitted from their 30-day price match. So, I wound up getting it for $1949 (plus the reasonable cost of their home delivery and their great extended warranty). Others have gotten it from CC cheaper, but the Pensacola store wouldn't go lower.

Be your own judge, but despite the fact that I tend to be an Internet price-only shopper, there is no way I would pick an option other than this unless it was *way, way* cheaper.

my $.02,

russ

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I ended up getting it from a large chain, Ultimate Electronics, and a lot of good it did me; the sound won't work for Direct TV, I've got some serious edge compression - especially when watching DVD's - and my set is the XJ4 model. :mad:

The edge compression when watching HDNet or HBOHD is hardly noticeable. (I'm not even sure there is any) Why would I get the edge compression from DVD's (I have a Panasonic RP56 progressive scan) and not HDTV??? :confused:

I'm pissed. :mad:

·
Registered
300 Posts
I wouldn't buy anything from Ultimate Electronics. The seem to sell older models while leading you to believe they are current.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, they switched it out yesterday with the YX5 model, manufactured in April '02! :)

Problem is, I'm still getting the edge compression on DVD's and XBox games. :( Am I just going to have to accept this edge compression with the F38310's, or is it correctable?

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
SE3 - although i was skeptical about adding overscan, i went into the service menu (you can do a search in this forum for the PDF file) and added the smallest amount of overscan to the RCA (whihc starts out with very little overscan with stretched dvd's). I now barely notice the edge compression.

the edge compresssion doesn't happen with HD feeds.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the quick reply, oleus. I'll do the search and give it a shot.

This television is SOOO close to being perfect ( for the $$$), but when you pay $2,000.00 specifically to get a widescreen view, and then the widescreen view is slightly warped, it kinda defeats the purpose of getting the widescreen in the first place, IMO.
Quote:
the edge compresssion doesn't happen with HD feeds.
Yes, I've noticed. :) If that were not the case, I'd be searching for a different brand/model right now.

·
Registered
127 Posts
OK, here's a few strange questions.....

I live in Canada, and unfortunatly the F38310 isn't carried by RCA - except in their inhouse retailer at their HQ who sell refurbished / demo units....

They had both the RCA model and the Proscan model - is their any advantage to one or the other?

This was the first time I saw one in the flesh, I was dissapointed that the screen wasn't flat (you can't tell by the pic on RCA's website) but the image still seemed nice - can anyone confirm that this TV CAN handle progressive DVD players?

It seems like a decent TV, but the price of these demo/refurbished units are $3000 CDN (think $2000 US) which is higher than most US online retailers prices for a NEW set. I mentioned this to the salesman, and he went on to say that if I bought my TV from the states, and anything were to happen to my TV, it wouldn't be covered (which I can sorta believe) and no repairman would touch it - does this sound right?

My REAL question is, what would be a FAIR price to expect for a refurbished F38310?? You can answear in US dollars, and i'll do the conversion ;-)

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.