AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My contractor got back to me about sound proofing the ceiling. Does this sound right?

**Add $275.00 for sound deadening ceiling in media room. Consists of packing down with 2 x 4, 1 layer of Homasote sound density material (1/2"), pack down with 3/4" lathe for air gap, the final covering is 1/2" drywall.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
unless you test this specific method it's hard to tell. The proven, preferred method is double (or even triple drywall) with Green Glue.

Are you treating the rest of the room? If not, you will likely be wasting your money by just concentrating on the ceiling.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by budk /forum/post/15431434

unless you test this specific method it's hard to tell. The proven, preferred method is double (or even triple drywall) with Green Glue.

Are you treating the rest of the room? If not, you will likely be wasting your money by just concentrating on the ceiling.

This is for the basement, so the side walls are being treated with R19 insulation and that's it. The theater area is the only part getting the ceiling treatment as it is right below our kitchen.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
what are you trying to achieve? Are you trying to impact noise from the kitchen or are you trying to keep your "theater area" sound from getting upstairs?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'd say have them do clips, hat channel, double drywall (green glue if you want), and insulate with fiberglass batts. I did this, and can't hear anyone upstairs from my theater, and only the bass gets through (and only when it's cranked).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.