AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as you or may or may not know ive just bought my first HTPC component (1TB Samung Spinpoint F1 HDD) im now looking to buy a motherboard + cpu, ive read the first sticky in this section about 'How to build a htpc' and i thought id follow some of the advice and get the following..

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P ( http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...A-MA790XT-UD4P )

+

Cpu - AMD Phenom II X2 545 3GHz Socket AM3 Processor ( http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AM...5WFGIBOX).html )

+

Case - ThermalTake DH101 Black VF7000BNS - HTPC Black Case ( http://www.thermaltake.com/product_i...id=&parent_cp= )

Does that look alright or do i need the quadcore cpu?

Its going to be for ripping movies to .iso and watching hd movies etc, a few games (nothing fancy, mainly kids games for my little ones) and maybe recording tv, any suggestions or will the above be fine for what i want?

~ Martyn.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know there are alot of people/ members that need help here so im hoping that this has just been overlooked, but, i really could do with some help so i can get going buying some more stuff, and, as these are the most important then i kinda want to get it right the first time.

Thankyou in advance.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
16,136 Posts
Athlon II X2 240e is not available in US (yet). The normal 240 is enough if you don't need much CPU processing power (who cares about +5W power increase at idle/video playback inside a large case such as DH101?).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your help guy's.

As i said i will need it for the following:

Ripping dvd's to .iso

Watching movies

Listening to music

Maybe record tv

Day to day stuff (internet etc)

That's about it.

The AMD Athlon II X2 240e is £65 (inc P+P) on Ebay.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
AFAIK the audio is FUBARed on the 790gx

I'd go nVidia 9300/9400 plus C2D. That way you get as good or better CPU performance and better HD audio with proper 24p at around the same price.

about $80 for MB and $80-120 for CPU would get you a much better system IMO

·
Registered
701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb /forum/post/18133290

AFAIK the audio is FUBARed on the 790gx

I'd go nVidia 9300/9400 plus C2D. That way you get as good or better CPU performance and better HD audio with proper 24p at around the same price.

about $80 for MB and $80-120 for CPU would get you a much better system IMO

This is based on what exactly?

I only ask because you're pretty much wrong across the board. The 790GX can't bitstream, but neither can the 9300. Both can do 24p just fine, you just have to manually set the refresh, which is true of all video right now. And you can actually get a capable C2D for around $50 for a dual core, though not as fast as the 240e.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.