AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was actually looking for a Samsung 46" DLP when I ran into the 46HM84. The shocking part for me was when I saw the price. I've seen it at a few places for around $1,350 which is maybe $400 lower than the Samsung.

I then read up on the Toshiba and found it uses the HD2+ chip which I have read is good.

Reading these forums I found gamers who've said that the Samsung DLP's have lag so they are out of the picture for me.

I'm glad I ran into the Toshiba because if I hadn't, I may have ended up purchasing and returning the Samsung.

I have a couple of questions. First, what chip is better, the HD4 or the HD2+?

Finally, is $1350 too good to be true for the 46HM84? What's the catch? Is there something i'm missing here?

·
Registered
387 Posts
esk59,

There are a few things to check. Check to make sure that the shipping and insurance for shipping is included. Check to make sure they don't have any hidden charges like handling fees. Check to make sure the unit is new, and not a refurbished, B-stock, or grey market item.

Then you really want to take a good look at the company to see if you want to do business with them. This is a decent amount of money, and you want to be safe. Check online review websites. The good ones to check are the ones that require an invoice to post on a reseller, like www.resellerratings.com . Talk to them, and check out their availability. Is it one guy with a cell phone and voicemail, or is it a company that actually can support you?

Hope I helped. Feel free to give me a call with any questions!

1(888)286-5353 Ext 522

·
Registered
15,814 Posts
Sorry, but talking about price is against forum rules.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

What is more important is the proper implementation of a chip ... not the chip itself. A poorly implemented HD2+ chip still yields a poor image compared to a properly implemented HD4 design.

The 4 series of Toshiba sets have a poor implementation of the 2+ chip.

Regards

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV
Greetings

What is more important is the proper implementation of a chip ... not the chip itself. A poorly implemented HD2+ chip still yields a poor image compared to a properly implemented HD4 design.

The 4 series of Toshiba sets have a poor implementation of the 2+ chip.

Regards
Would you please list any DLPs you know of that have a properly implemented HD2+ chip?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
esk59,

There are a few things to check. Check to make sure that the shipping and insurance for shipping is included. Check to make sure they don't have any hidden charges like handling fees. Check to make sure the unit is new, and not a refurbished, B-stock, or grey market item.

Then you really want to take a good look at the company to see if you want to do business with them. This is a decent amount of money, and you want to be safe. Check online review websites. The good ones to check are the ones that require an invoice to post on a reseller, like www.resellerratings.com . Talk to them, and check out their availability. Is it one guy with a cell phone and voicemail, or is it a company that actually can support you?

Hope I helped. Feel free to give me a call with any questions!

1(888)286-5353 Ext 522
Thank you for all the advice. Actually the price I found was from Amazon and it included shipping. I also found a similar price at other credible places and yes the price included shipping also.

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP
Sorry, but talking about price is against forum rules.
I apologize for that, I won't mention price again.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Seek out last year's Samsung DLP's ... 2004/05 series. They have a better implementation of the 2+ ...

However ... don't get obsessed over the chip ... there is more to good images than the chip alone.

Regards

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.