AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was actually looking for a Samsung 46" DLP when I ran into the 46HM84. The shocking part for me was when I saw the price. I've seen it at a few places for around $1,350 which is maybe $400 lower than the Samsung.

I then read up on the Toshiba and found it uses the HD2+ chip which I have read is good.

Reading these forums I found gamers who've said that the Samsung DLP's have lag so they are out of the picture for me.

I'm glad I ran into the Toshiba because if I hadn't, I may have ended up purchasing and returning the Samsung.

I have a couple of questions. First, what chip is better, the HD4 or the HD2+?

Finally, is $1350 too good to be true for the 46HM84? What's the catch? Is there something i'm missing here?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris5977
There are many thousands of posts about this TV.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=46HM84

Perhaps you should do a search before you make a post...
I did a search. I've been reading for hours. You want me to read an entire 1,000+ page thread because I haven't seen what i'm looking for in the hours that i've been at this?

I'm asking simple questions. It isn't so hard for those with the knowledge to just share a bit.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I'm just trying to gently teach you some online etiquette. You will find that if you are respectful, people are very helpful.

And, yes, if you intend to spend thousands of dollars you should read every post on the product, I certainly do, at least before I fill up the forum with junk posts.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Quote:
I'm just trying to gently teach you some online etiquette. You will find that if you are respectful, people are very helpful.

And, yes, if you intend to spend thousands of dollars you should read every post on the product, I certainly do, at least before I fill up the forum with junk posts.
Unbelievable. That attitude is rude and not representative of this forum.

To the original poster...I can't help you in finding info on that TV...it's not something I know about. However, I can empathize with your situation. Scanning pages upon pages of forum discussions to find specific info is tedious. There is nothing wrong with asking a specific question in a new thread.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I agree that was rude...don't worry chris...not enough sleep or something.

I'll say I'm pretty knowledgable on the product you questioning about. I read about 700+ post before I gave up so...I feel your pain.

1st...that price is top notch...thats the lowest I've ever heard.

2nd...no one really knows which chip is better...after reading through those post I came away with no extra input on it. Your just going to have to view it. I viewed an HD4 toshiba and a HD2+ plus toshiba yesterday...I can't call it..bestbuy freakin messes with all the settings to make certain ones look better than others and they didn't want me messing around with settings.

There is a general consensus that HD2+ produces a sharper image since the HD4s are a wobbelated technology.

Lots of people have this set(HM84 series) and love it...a good gaming hdtv.

That price doesn't surprise me that much since the new 46HM95 is only 1900 bucks on average. BUT...I wouldn't purchase that set from an online dealer I never heard of.

I'll either buy 1 of three HDTVs for my gaming ...its either ethe sony 42A10, the old toshiba 46HM94, or the new toshiba 46HM95. Its a hard choice because most people only have one of these TVs on display...never all of them together...

·
Registered
688 Posts
The Toshiba 46HM84 is an excellent set especially for console games.

I would say the set to compare it to is the HLP4674W. Which is probably 500 dollars more than what you can get that toshiba for.

The only upside the Samsung has is the wide spread of connections. It has HDMI, DVI and VGA. Im not sure if the Toshiba has all three. The othere thing going for the samsung is that I have heard it is easier to setup up 1 to 1 pixel mapping on it if you decide to hook an HTPC to your display. That doesn't mean you can't do that with the Toshiba It just seems from posts that I have read that its easier to do that on the Samsung.

My opinion is the Toshiba is the better deal and at that price that is about the best bang for your buck you will get to hold you over for the next 6 or 7 years.

Regards,

Spin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.