AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just added a Carver amp to my Yamaha reciever. As soon as I turn on the tv (Sony-34xbr800), my speakers start to buzz/hum. I've checked with every components that connected to the system, and it's the tv that causes the buzz.

I never had this problem before I added the amp. So, is it the amp or the tv? Is there anything i can do to solve this?

Thank you for reading

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
A. Dejkorn:

There are a number of things which might cause the buzz... It could be the way you have things connected together so that you are getting feedback from another component (e.g., how you have the amp and receiver connected and/or the TV connected to the receiver). It could be that the gain on the TV is up too high - if you have variable audio out, turn it down and let the receiver control the TV volume). It could be interference between the speaker cables and a power cable.... It is difficult to diagnose at a distance.

My suggestion would be to go over your connections, double-checking each connection to make sure things are as they should be. I would then try to separate power lines from signal cables (i.e., connections among components and speaker cables). I would then try giving the TV a separate power source (a separate line if possible) from the amp/receivers.

Of course it might be a grounding problem. Call an electrician and get the electrician to make sure that your outlets and your main service box are adequately grounded.

If you've done this and you still have a buzz, we can try again...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply,

I've added more information about my problem.

Here is the connection before adding the amp (no buzz/hum):

My TV (Sony 34XBR800) is not connected directly to the receiver (Yamaha RXV630) nor the outdoor antenna. For audio, I have my dvd player (Panny RP82) via optical and HD tuner (Zenith 420) via digital coax, connected to the receiver. For video, they both are connected to TV via component cables. All of these equipments are connected to a new dedicated circuit.

Then just last weekend I added the amp (Carver AV806X). I didn't make any changes to the connection except connecting it to the receiver via digital coax cables and moving the speaker cables from the receiver to the amp.

Here is the problem:

When I turn on the HD tuner and/or playing dvd, my speakers buzz/hum if my TV is on. If I turn off just the TV and leave the dvd player and/or the HD tuner on, the buzz/hum stops. When I disconnect my outdoor antenna (which is grounded) from the HD tuner and TV, the speakers (Infinity RS) still buzz if the TV is on. I've tried connecting my TV to a different circuit, and it still causes the buzz.

I house is an older home but again, all my equipments are connected to a new dedicated circuit which I think is connected to the same ground.

Thank you for reading

A. Dejkorn

·
Registered
711 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by A. Dejkorn

Here is the problem:

When I turn on the HD tuner and/or playing dvd, my speakers buzz/hum if my TV is on. If I turn off just the TV and leave the dvd player and/or the HD tuner on, the buzz/hum stops. When I disconnect my outdoor antenna (which is grounded) from the HD tuner and TV, the speakers (Infinity RS) still buzz if the TV is on. I've tried connecting my TV to a different circuit, and it still causes the buzz.

Try the same thing, but disconnect the video connections between the TV and HD tuner and DVD. If the buzzing goes away, then there is likely a ground loop. If it remains, it seems likely that it's an RF/Induction issue. Basically isolate the TV, with no connections, play a DVD with the TV on and see if you get the buzzing.

Let us know what you find.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.