AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HTPC specs are

Case: Silverstone Grandia GD01MX (SILVER)

Mobo: ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400

Video card: MSI N9600GT-MD1G GeForce 9600

Sound card: NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Media HDD: 100gig (MAIN)

Media HDD: 1TBgig (VIDEO)

Media HDD: 1TBgig (MUSIC)

Media HDD: 1TBgig (VIDEO 2/PHOTOS)

Dvd burner: LG Black BD-Combo SATA Model CH08LS10

RAM: NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

PSU: Ultra LSP750 750-Watt Power Supply

Cooling: NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need a liitle help on picking the ram, cooling, sound card

·
Registered
993 Posts
Memory: I recommend standard DDR2-800, preferably from an original manufacturer such as Crucial/Micron or Samsung. Don't waste your money on fancy "premium memory" with gold-plated "coolers" or the like. Depending on what you plan to do with it, take either 2 or 4GB.

Sound card: Depends on the equipment to you will connect to it. If it's a receiver with HDMI, I would recommend either an ATI graphics card or a motherboard with nforce chipset with inbuilt audio over HDMI capability (see other threads in the forum). If you plan to use S/PDIF, you can use the motherboard sound. Only if you use analog connections it' worth considering an extra soundcard (although the Azalia sound on the motherboard is not too shabby).

Cooler: Too many to choose from. However, unless you plan to use the PC for a lot of video transcoding or gaming, I would consider using an energy-efficient dual-core instead of a quad, since they are easier to cool quietly.

Instead of three 1TB drives you could save some power and reduce noise by using two 1.5TB models.

The power supply is seriously overdimensioned and will thus run in an inefficient operating range. 450w is plenty for this setup.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
CPU - C2Q Q8400 is overkill for a HTPC. If you want to save some money, go with a cheaper C2D 3.0ghz+ is sufficient. You can use the money you save to buy another 1TB to be used in a RAID5 to offer redundancy. But if you have a good backup plan in place, and don't really care about high availability and restore time, then you can just add another 1TB to your stoage.

OS - why not Windows 7 Home Premium

PSU - I agree with Rigby, 750w is too much.

Cooling - 4 internal hard drives will get pretty hot, buy some premium silent fans like silentx or...(cant think of other ones right now, do a google search)

Sound Card - This depends on how you want to output your audio. Analog or digital? 5.1 or 7.1? Connecting your HTPC to a receiver?

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Agree on the RAM . I've had many more problems with premium RAM than mundane types.

·
Registered
302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D /forum/post/16947760

Agree on the RAM . I've had many more problems with premium RAM than mundane types.

Probably because the premium RAM is for higher voltages and are non-standard JADEC timings. "Mundane" ram generally has regular voltages and timings.

Sound card, same with what other have said, how are you outputting sound?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which of these two processors is better or is they about the same ?

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

Intel Core 2 Duo E7600

i am going to go with a Corsair 450watss CMPSU-450VX psu and for memory going with 2 Crucial 2048MB PC6400.

And about the os i thought the vista was ok for a htpc. if not which would you guys prefer?

also the reason i am picking 4 hdds bcuz the prices isn't to different. Would 4 cause other problems? other then noise

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.