AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a HT with a single SVS SB12 subwoofer. This was pretty good for the smaller room I had this setup in but clearly overwhelmed by the bigger room I have it in now. I am in Mexico so I am limited as to what I can bring back.

Since my Parasound preamp has dual subwoofer outlets, I am thinking that a decent compromise might be to add a second SVS SB12 rather than start over with something a lot bigger and more expensive. Budget is a big factor and I have found I can find these SB12s used at reasonable cost.

Will this solution really help me out? I don't need perfect here, just a significant improvement in LFEs.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Well yes a 2nd SB12 would be a big improvement. BUT the key is to place both subs correctly so you can get the most out of the subs. Now in larger rooms ported subs tend to be the better choice but if I was in your shoes I would probably add the 2nd SB12.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Another question, are there other similar subs that would be compatible with this one in the event I can't find one?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
It is best to have identical subs but not a must. Definitely look for a sealed sub with as close to the same freq resp curve as the SB12 to help it blend the best. Also you probably don't want to mix sealed and ported subs. The SVS SB2000 is the new version of the SB12 it would probably match fairly well. I'm not sure what you would have access down there in Mexico, but depending on your budget and your room size if you can't find a SB12 maybe you wanna start over with 2 ported subs.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,263 Posts

The SB12 puts out 92 dB at 20 Hz.  In a large room without gain you won't get much more than this.  If you add another, you should get 4-5 dB if well placed, for about 96-97 dB at 20 Hz.  A similar ported sub, the PB12 has 103 dB at 20 Hz. This is roughly double the output of two SB12's.  Just presenting the facts to help you decide which route you want to go.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very little access to HT gear this far south, hence I am going to find something up there on my next car trip to TX and haul it back. Hence, it can't be overly huge.

What about one of these cylindrical SVS subs with the 800 watt amp? They are ported.

The room is a bear. 20 feet wide, 27 feet deep but then the fun starts as half the back wall is open to a huge family room and fireplace below.

Needless to say my LFEs get lost in this space. I have to hand it to the little SVS, it does its level best.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHouck  /t/1526233/is-this-a-reasonable-compromise#post_24578578

20 feet wide, 27 feet deep but then the fun starts as half the back wall is open to a huge family room and fireplace below.

Sell the sealed and switch to ported based on these dimensions.  Room gain will start below 20 Hz, meaning a sealed sub will not benefit from room gain to help with LFE output.  And if size is a concern, yes, the PC12 is roughly equivalent to the PB12.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Yes if you have the funds I'd go with either 2 PB2000's or 2 PC12's.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry don't want to thread jack but my question pertains to the OP's also. I own a sb2000 and want to add a second sub. Thought about going with a pb2000 but wasn't sure about mixing sealed & ported. I asked SVS and they told me the PB would math up better with my sealed sub than another sb would and recommended to go with the PB.

I saw earlier in this thread to stick with 2 sealed or 2 ported. What is the reasoning? I'm confused by what SVS told me now.

Even if the ported plays louder than the sealed would that really matter? With one sub playing it's unlocalizable so 2 shouldn't be any different sealed, ported or whatever I would think. Is there something else going on I'm not aware of?

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Himes  /t/1526233/is-this-a-reasonable-compromise#post_24590267

Even if the ported plays louder than the sealed would that really matter?
It's not a matter of louder, it's a matter of lower. Sealed subs don't go real low, but in a small room cabin gain will fill in the lower octave or two. In a larger room you don't get cabin gain, so you need the lower extension of a ported sub. You can mix them, but that leaves the sealed sub as a weak link.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks Bill, makes perfect sense. I actually am happy with low end extension with my current sealed sub placement. Set placement with REW/UMik while moving the sub around for the smoothest location. Just looking to fill the whole room more evenly now. The placement of where the next sub is going is actually not as good for low end @ MLP so maybe ported would be the way to go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts