AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently bought my first projector (JVC NX7) & screen (Elunevision 112" motorized tab tension screen EV8K-T3-112-1.0)

I mounted my screen & projector a little over a week ago and I was initially disappointed in some waves on both corners of the screen. This being my first screen I'm wondering if my expectations that it should be pretty flat are realistic for a motorized screen.

I've reached out to the retailer and emailed Elunevision and haven't heard back from either. I'm going to follow up with both but would love to hear other peoples opinions on what I should expect from the product.

I will also say that while watching content I don't really notice the waves, but on a black screen I do notice that the screen isn't a perfectly uniform tone with all 4 corners being a bit off (not sure if this is the screen or the projector).

I'll try to include some pics showing the waves :

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't think it looks too bad now. The vinyl may need some time to "stretch" and relax before you see all the waves and wrinkles.

Adjusting the side cord(s) or adding more strategically placed tabs may remove some of the waves or re-tensioning the bottom of the screen in the batten may help.

I had a 158" Da Lite and a 150" Elite, both tab tensioned electric screens, that looked far worse than what you have.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
your screen look great. how old is it? do you ever notice a bit of swaying in the screen? that was my other issue with mine, making me think the tension bar could (should?) be a bit heavier...

out of curiosity do you usually keep the screen down or only when you use the projector?

·
Registered
19,848 Posts
your screen look great. how old is it? do you ever notice a bit of swaying in the screen? that was my other issue with mine, making me think the tension bar could (should?) be a bit heavier...

out of curiosity do you usually keep the screen down or only when you use the projector?
My screens are almost 8 years old now. March 21st, 2013 is the ship date.
I have 2 screens. Usually one is up and one is down. No swaying that I've ever seen.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Actually that one looks not too obvious. I believe the rule of thumb is still whether it is noticeable when we are watching a movie. If we are looking for absolute flatness then the fixed frame screens will be a better choice.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
If a tab tension screen is engineered and built correctly, the viewing area of the screen should be just as flat as a fixed screen. If not, then the customer has a warranty issue. Just sayin.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Elunevision had one of their tech guys contact me. He said that because I'm using only a little bit (about 3 or 4") of the top black drop the tension string isn't fully drawn out near the bottom. He told me to loosen the tension string, hang some 2.5lbs weights on each end of the tension bar and leave it for 3 days.

I'm still on the 2nd day of stretching the screen, but immediately with the weights on either end of the screen the waves disappeared. The big question is if it will stay this way after I remove the weights and retract and drop the screen again.

I'll update when I know the results.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so to follow up, initially when I removed the weights the screen looked very good. I retracted and then dropped down the screen and it still seemed ok. I retraced the screen and left it up overnight and then dropped the screen down today and the curls have returned :(

Still awaiting further advice from Elunevision's tech...

·
Registered
485 Posts
I had the same wrinkles with my ElumeVision screen. It didn't bother me enough to do something about it, but after a few months, they seem to have disappeared.

Reactions: Rooster

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had the same wrinkles with my ElumeVision screen. It didn't bother me enough to do something about it, but after a few months, they seem to have disappeared.
is it a tab tension motorized version? do you have any pics of it?

·
Registered
485 Posts
is it a tab tension motorized version? do you have any pics of it?
Yes, a motorized version. Not much to see. I have a 110" 4/3 ar and only bring it down far enough to make 16/9 ar viewing area. At the time, it was much cheaper to get a 4/3 than a 16/9. My impression is that when they pinch the bottom rod on, they stretch the material a little too much.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just to follow up on this thread, Elunevision is offering a replacement screen. Just waiting for them to get it in stock and confirm it doesn't have the curls when it's lowered to the height I want.

I'll post again when I receive it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
one more follow up. It took a while but I received the replacement screen from Elunevision and it has no corner curls.

So thanks to the Elunevision tech support and customer service for getting this resolved to my satisfaction.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts