AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay please be patient with me, I am planning on purchasing the Panny HDS20 STB from a local dealer, due to the price reduction(499.00) I am also in the process of ordering Direct TV. Now when the installer comes out to set this up is it as simple as connecting both,the dish which I am told is a round one, with dual LNB's, and the Panasonic unit?

Will I then be able to receive Hi def programming? I am going to subscribe to the HD movie channels. I also read that I can receive local channels in HDTV,CBS,NBC,ABC? Is this feasible? I have owned a Pioneer 610 for over a year, and am determined to now view some hi def programming. I am in the Los Angeles area, but live in the foothills, and I don't believe I can receive OTA broadcasts due to my location.

Sorry for the long post, please advise, Thanks.

Vern

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Vern,

The only thing that sounds lacking is the correct dish. You need either an OVAL dish like this one, or two round dishes and the proper "switch" to combine them. The OVAL dish has the switch included. A round dish with dual LNBs will only get you the ability to connect multiple receivers so your household can watch two different channels at separate locations.

You may also need to buy the component cable to connect between the panny and the 601, but that may be included with either of those.

As far as programming from DIRECTV, there are currently 2 HD channels;HDNET on ch. 199 and HBOHD on 509. NO HD network feeds anywhere. HDNET is included with basic DIRECTV programming. HBOHD is included at no extra cost as long as you subscribe to the HBO package $12/mo.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jerry,

I'll make sure to get the oval dish

I'm going to try an outdoor antenna to see if I can receive any terrestial broadcasts

Vern

·
Registered
99 Posts
Help! I have a system being delivered next Friday. The sales rep at Ultimate electronics swore that a round dish could receive HD signals. I asked him over and over again because I was skeptical and he insisted that the round dish was ok. Was he wrong? Let me know so I can change the order. Thanks!!

Dan

·
Registered
750 Posts
dbb,

As Jerry points out: A single round dish cannot be used to receive DirecTV's regular and HDTV programming. The HDTV channels are on a different satellite than DirecTV's regular programming. Therefore, you must "see" both satellites. The way to do this is to have one oval dish or two round dishes (where the two round dishes are pointed at different satellites). In both cases, you'll have two dual-LNB's (one dual-LNB per satellite) and a multiswitch. The dual-LNB's get fed to the multiswitch, which in turn feeds the receivers/tuners.

So, it sounds like the rep was incorrect. To receive HDTV from DirecTV, you do need the oval dish (assuming you're not going the two-dish route).

·
Registered
99 Posts
Jason and Jerry,

Thanks for your help. I thought I had it straight at the store but got talked out of the oval dish. I will be making a "frustrated customer" call tomorrow.

Dan

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dbb
Jason and Jerry,

Thanks for your help. I thought I had it straight at the store but got talked out of the oval dish. I will be making a "frustrated customer" call tomorrow.

Dan
Isn't it unbelievable that at this point, a salesman could be so uninformed as to not even know which dish is needed for the HD channels?

Maybe you could talk to the manager and let him know how annoyed you are with the salesman and get a lower price or you'll take your business elsewhere.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Yes, amazing. Also worth noting, it is trickier to point the oval dish to grab both birds (101 and 119). The 119 bird is lower in the sky. If not done right, you'll be looking at 110 instead. You can actually add a third LNB in the middle for that sat but you don't need it at this time. When I first installed my dish, the very patient and helpful tech support guy told me I was looking at the 110 bird so I repointed my dish. :eek:

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am planning on speaking to the manager only. They just opened up the Ultimate Electronics store here and I was intrigued by the pledge to do everything to the nines, unparalleled service, etc. So I walked in and most of the sales guys were just as clueless as those at BB, CC, etc. The guy working with me had only been in electronics for a couple of weeks and obviously had no friggin clue about other stuff. I caved when he asked another guy. The flashy catalogue they send out has the head honcho's phone # in it and I will call that too although I expect nothing out of it.....

Thanks again to other members for their help.

Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.