AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's wierd. I found it yesterday and it was set to go off in 4 hours but now it's gone and no longer in my watch page. It was for a Triad Platinum system consisting of the left and right and center channel and 2 platinum subs and the bidding started at 3,900. There were real pics from someones living room but who knows.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I'm not saying this was the case in this particular instance, but it sounds an awful lot like this:

If you had checked the seller's other listings, it is likely that you would have seen everything expensive and desirable for sale on the site (speakers, cameras, computers, video game consoles, TV's, etc.).

Here's how it works:

Phishers (Internet con men, and women) hijack accounts and have a stored up database of everything high-end that they have copied from other, legitimate listings and accompanying photographs over time.

Once they have the stolen account(s), they flood-list all of the 'goodies.'

All listings say 'contact me at [free email account here] to buy.'

Once paid for all of the items, the email account closes and the only person able to be held accountable is whoever got their account hijacked (usually without them knowing).

This scam has been going on for years, and all the site in question can do about it is to continue to close down the effected accounts before too much damage occurs. That's why the auctions mysteriously disappear. This response is too late for some, as they are already in negotiations with the 'seller.'

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, this acoount had no other auctions up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts