AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Sorry if this question has been answered before.. but I couldn't find a clear answer. Anyway, I have a Samsung 40 inch 550 LCD tv. My roommate uses it to play xbox a few times per evening. However, he'll turn the tv (and receiver and xbox) on and off a few times per night.

My question is if turning all these components on and off about 3 or 4 times per night is bad or causing excessive wear? Would it be preferred to just leave everything powered on from about 6pm to 11pm each night? I'm not concerned about power usage-- my question is in regards to the effect on the components.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
This is similar to those that question should you leave a PC running all the time or routinely shut it down. It should have no noticeable difference or impact whatsoever other than the extra energy expended.

I've managed a large Network where PC's are kept running 24/7 for 5-6 years and Servers because unlike one's home secure deployments of patches, service packs and custom software must be done after hours - I've never observed a failure based upon continuous running time and most prevalent failures are hard drives and with servers power supplies but with servers you usually buy with redundancy built-in of both during warranty and they have nothing to do with starting and stopping or continuous use.

From the other spectrum in my home my oldest LCD TV is a Sony in my kitchen that constantly gets turned on and off throughout the day and it has been running for 7.5 years without a hiccup. IMO the biggest enemy of your electronics are humidity, excess heat and dust/dirt or other environmental things like smoke added to the equation as it can get into the internals also.

Lighten up and enjoy but those of us with 360's may always be waiting for the red rings of death no matter how you use it - I've gone through 3 consoles but that's simply are widely known issue of the console that's been much improved since Microsoft had to support so many issues related to it. Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 /forum/post/18308627

This is similar to those that question should you leave a PC running all the time or routinely shut it down. It should have no noticeable difference or impact whatsoever other than the extra energy expended.

I've managed a large Network where PC's are kept running 24/7 for 5-6 years and Servers because unlike one's home secure deployments of patches, service packs and custom software must be done after hours - I've never observed a failure based upon continuous running time and most prevalent failures are hard drives and with servers power supplies but with servers you usually buy with redundancy built-in of both during warranty and they have nothing to do with starting and stopping or continuous use.

From the other spectrum in my home my oldest LCD TV is a Sony in my kitchen that constantly gets turned on and off throughout the day and it has been running for 7.5 years without a hiccup. IMO the biggest enemy of your electronics are humidity, excess heat and dust/dirt or other environmental things like smoke added to the equation as it can get into the internals also.

Lighten up and enjoy but those of us with 360's may always be waiting for the red rings of death no matter how you use it - I've gone through 3 consoles but that's simply are widely known issue of the console that's been much improved since Microsoft had to support so many issues related to it. Enjoy!

really, i have observed and experienced the opposite.

most server and pc failures happen while rebooting after power cycles!

to answer the OP's question:

i try to avoid turning my lcd off and on unnecessarily

1 - 3 of 3 Posts