AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And until a few days ago I was planning on treating myself to a Toshiba 65" RPTV for Christmas (well, maybe a little sooner). Suddenly all I hear is HTPC and DLP. Other than what I have read here in the last few days, I have no knowledge of how all this works, so set me straight.

In addition to any existing satellite receivers and other home theater equipment including dvd players, all I need to do to get the big picture is buy a NEC 150 or something comparable, a screen, a PC - PIII, >500mhz, >128kb with a couple of extra cards and a dvd drive and some additional cables. Is this basically correct?

If so, I would appreciate any input concerning any of the fine points to be considered and any recommendations.

What is the concensus on other manufacturers offering comparable units to the 150 and what are the chances of seeing MSRP of $1,999?

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
You might not even need a computer, if what I read about the internal video processor/deinterlacer/scaler in the 150 is correct. Just hook your DVD player and Satelite receiver up to your A/V receiver (or an S=video switch from Radio Shack) or, much better, directly to your projector through component (three seperate RCA wires) jacks from a progressive scan DVD player, and WHAMMO! Your projector serves exactly the same purpose as a TV monitor, except its much clearer. My advice is go with something really bright with high contrast. Good luck!

------------------

Joe

My current idea of the best value:

Boxlight 38t

Panasonic RP91

RCA DTC-100

Da-Lite 100" 4:3 1.3gain

Studio Experience SE616's

and some other stuff.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is getting better all the time. Though I don't expect the scaler to work magic on satellite/cable, I will assume that it would be watchable.

So are we only talking about five cables going to the unit.....s-vhs from the tuner, three component cables from the dvd and a power cable for the unit? If this is it, I'm gonna be off to see the wizard in the very near future.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.