AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for the collective wisdom here.

This is unrelated to CRT's but does apply to selling and shipping. I have some Suzuki RM250's and RM125's I am selling and have them listed on ebay.

I received the following this morning.

Hello,

I will like to buy this item for $4500.00,

I am intersted to buy this item and i will like it to be ship to Hollandin Europe.

To make the payment more faster and easier, i am especting the sum of$9,500.00 from stock broker in US. i will ask them to send you the amount($9,500.00) But as soon asthe cheque clear you will send the remaining money to me by Western Union in europe.

Also i will like to let you know that i have my own shipper that will comeover to your address and pick it up as soon as the cheque clear.

If this is ok with you, kindly email me back on ([email protected]).

Also email me the name and the address to appear on the cheque and your telephone numbers, please dont email me p.o.box address, because the cheque will be send my fedex courier services and fedex does not deliver to p.o boxes.

Till i read from you.

Now I have seen the far east scam of folks wanting to pay with credit cards and willing to pay more than the asking price. But this one is new to me.

Can any of ya'll see any reason why I shouldn't go through with this?>?

Terry

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
It's drug money and he's looking for a way to launder it?:D If he's offering to send you real money first, and you can wait till it clears, then it appears the risk is all on him. Most likely though there will be some "snag" on his end and he will ask you to stick your neck out first since he was willing to do the same. This sounds too much like the Nigerian off-shore bank-transfer deal. I guess it wouldn't hurt to play it out a little longer, it should be obvious when and if it starts to sour and it's time to bail-out.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Terry,

it just feels fishy. There is no reason that anyone would send you more money, unless they were up to something.

Run do not walk:)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Terry,

Could be legit. See if he will give you some references that you can check, like his stock broker since that is where he is claiming the check will come from.

If you do go through with it make sure you take the check to the bank and get cash in hand before you release the bike or send him a dime. Also make sure nothing is tied to your bank account in case the bank that issues the check tries a reversal.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I've heard about this con. What I heard is the check is fake/stolen, just like the credit card scams. Difference is you actually get to try and pass a bad check, no risk for the buyer and the fun is all in your court.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Terry, If you fall this one you deserve to be ********d! That con has been widely publicized on the news for the last six months. Forged or stolen checks and you are out the merchandise plus the difference from the check. Boy! would we have some fun kicking you around the block a few times!

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
This is a common scam. I have read about similar things with folks selling cars on Ebay. A foreign buyer says they want to buy an item and when they send the check it turns out to be more than the required amount. They then ask the seller to send them a check for the extra via some service such as Western Union where it is nearly impossible to get your money back. If they get lucky they get the "extra" money and the product before you realize their check is worthless. You also have to ask yourself who in their right mind would send more money to an Ebay seller than necessary. Seriously, would you?

secstate

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Um, I would ask which brokerage firm he is using. If it is JT Marlin, run. ;)

I would definitely side with the "scam" vote. If he is using a reputable brokerage firm, then one must remember that manipulating money is what they do. While the retail brokers may still be the sales-type, that is not where a bank (investment rather than commercial) makes its money. There are some really sharp folks that work in the back office of financial services firms, and if he is needing to bounce/park funds in your account, then that is because he is not being honest with you.

Here are some scenarios:

1) Honest Dutchman trying to avoid punitive taxes on money made in the US.

In this scenario, he should be able to wire money into your bank account from a reputable broker (reputable = advertise somewhere on CNBC, NPR, etc.) in the exact amount of the sale. He gets the rest of his cash wired FROM HIS BROKER directly to a bank in the Isle of Man, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Aruba, Cayman, etc. (all of these places are still, for a short period, good places to park cash for a European to hide money from their domestic tax authorities). No work is required from you, and make sure that the brokerage contacts you for your bank account info - not him (and never, ever give out bank account info in an e-mail).

2) Dishonest person of indeterminate nationality

Money comes in from an illicit source (potential proceeds from N-419, eBay scam, etc.) and you are used as an accomplice to move the money. He may be able to use your bank account information to take you for a scam as well. Drug money is HIGHLY unlikely since you need to clean it as cash first, and then get it into the banking system. Once drug money is in the banking system, it is generally good to go, and merely needs to be "repatriated". Apocryphal stories of selling high-end equipment to drug dealers is that they pay in cash. (Besides, drugs are legal in Holland!)

3) Something I have not thought of

[..]

Basically, I would expect this guy to be an Internet troll looking to score some toys. You may use one of the tactics posted previously on ferreting out bad sellers as a way to lure the person into giving you his address. At that point, I would drop a note to Interpol/the FBI with your misgivings (if you have the patience to work him over...).

Later,

Bill

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Scam - absolutely, without a doubt. Scammer makes $5000 off this transaction.

You receive the check - it's a cashier's check - so it "clears" immediately. Great, you've got CASH, right? You Western Union the difference ($5k) to the human waste and wait for his "shipper" to come pick up your bike.

About a week or 10 days later, the bank will call to let you know the cashier's check was fraudulent, that the FBI will investigate, and oh, by the way - remember that $9500 we gave you? We'll be needing that back, now.

Scam. All the way.

SC

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

Just ask for a wire transfer, or no deal. You will get a document naming the source of funds too. Wires don't bounce and cannot be phonied....:D

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the "wisdom" imposed here and the great responses.

I have a few thought's:

1. If it is a check, it will be made out from a bank. I can call the bank (or have my bank call) and see if the account is good or not. If it is, then I have the funds deposited into my account. If it isn't stop there. This sounds like it is coming from a US bank.

2. If indeed it is a cashiers check, then I take it to my bank and find out hat the max time is that is requires to have the funds totally clear. I would not release the bike nor the additional funds until this has occured. There is normally a bank that issues the certified funds so I would think it would be pretty easy to check the validity of the certified funds that way.

3. If it is a scam, I could notify the local authorities who could be here waiting for the scammer to pick up the merchandise.

BTW, the only way my bank will "cash" a cashiers check is if I have sufficient funds to back it up in case it turns out to be a bad check. In that case they don't ask for the funds back, they simply take them.

Now I am curious.

Terry

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
I have heard of this scam before. You may think you can cover yourself but in the end you will be screwed.

RUN LIKE THE WIND!!!

Troy

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Tory, is dead right, run don't walk from this one. Put yourself in the seller's shoes, would you send twice as much money to an Ebay seller than required in the hope they would pay half of it back? Seriously?

secstate

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
The extra money is the hook. The scammer is enticing you with the extra money, hoping that you're thinking you'll be able to scam him! I wouldn't bite Terry if I were you.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Quote:
(Besides, drugs are legal in Holland!)
Maybe we should all move to Holland? just think how good our CRTs would look after a few hits of sweet Lebanese blonde:D

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
What is sweet lebanese blonde? Pot? Indicia or Sativa?

excuse the dumb question... Never heard of it.

Troy

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I'd entertain this buyer, get his check, and frame it on the wall.

Sort of like finding an error in a Dijkstra book and getting the $1 reward he used to send out. :) (For those who don't know what I'm talking about, E.W. Dijkstra was knowing for publishing excellent texts, almost entirely without error. He mailed any reader $1 for each error they found and brought to his attention. The tiny few who earned their $1 covet it as much as their 45 PhDs needed to find the error. :))

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I emailed them back and they have responded.

> Williams,

>

> This is a highly unusual transaction.

> I would be glad to ship this to you in Europe but

> you have to pay

> shipping.

> So let me understand, you are going to have a US

> bank drawn check sent

> to me for $9500. I will deposit that check and when

> it clears my bank, I

> will ship to you in Holland. You will pay any duties

> as I would ship to

> the airport closest to you and you would clear

> customs and take care of

> duties?? I would then Western Union you the

> remainder of the funds less

> $4500 + shipping + Western Union cost.

> Is that correct??

> If so I don't think have any problem with that but

> let me do some

> checking.

>

and their response:

Yes, you get my message right,

Dont worry about the shipping i ahve my shipper that

will come over and pick the it as soon a sthe cheque

after you send the wetsern union.

Williams.

So he wants me to send him the $5K balance before he has someone come over to pick up the bike. That's OK with me cause I am not sending any money anywhere until I am absolutely sure that the funds have cleared my bank and they are OK according to my bank.

If I follow that rule, I don't really see how I can get burned?

I'm going to play this out a bit more and see where it goes.

BTW, anyone looking for a NEW in the crate 2003 RM250??

Terry

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Chuchuf,

Yes I like much to by rm250. How I send you check and I pay shipp via USPS FEdex?

Please return respond fast as I have euro money on hand for buy things.

Troy

·
Registered
225 Posts
Never overlook the obvious! Let's say someone wanted to outright steal some Suzuki RM250's and RM125's. What better way than to get the address of a legit owner ? Believe me it does happen

ie: Yes I'm calling about the classic corvette you have for sale, and where is it located? Thank you

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.