Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to All,

I finally got my Dvd & Tv to work awesome I have the JVC Progressive Scan DVD XV-D723 & the Toshiba CWX34C92 widescreen TV, The Picture is awesome but one thing that I notice is that if a dvd is 2:35:1 Aspect ratio it does not fill up my 16x9 screen, now the 1:85:1 Dvd's Do, Is this normal ? I am using the Composive connection to the HD input of the tv and the TV is set for 16X9.

Thanks for the input.

------------------

jl

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yes that is correct and you should be using COMPONENT cablest to connect no Composite as the component cables will give you the best picture.

------------------

Eram

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
16:9 is roughly equivalent to 1.78:1 so that you'll still see small black bars at the top and bottom of a 16:9 screen on any material whose aspect ratio is wider than 1.78:1 and black bars on the sides on material with aspect ratio narrower than 1.78:1.

------------------

HiDefDave

[This message has been edited by David McRoy (edited 10-04-2001).]

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
That is correct. A 16x9 display has an aspect ratio of 1.78:1, which means that the display is 1.78 times as wide as it is tall. A 2.35:1 DVD will be 2.35 times as wide as it is tall. Since 2.35 > 1.78, the DVD must be letterboxed in your display in order to show the full width of the picture.

------------------
Sc>cc>oc>tc>tc> Gc>ac>mc>mc>ac>nc>sc>
Visit the Scooterplex
Let's hear it for Enterprise on HDNet!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.