AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

http://www.costco.com/Sony-STR-DN1030-7.2-Channel-Wi-Fi-Network-AV-Receiver.product.100073980.html

I am a total newbie.  I saw this at my local costco.  it sounds ok, but I don't know stink...

I am putting together a budget home theater.

i want it to sounds GREAT for music, and movies.  i honestly am more concerned with music than movies...

I am going to buy a set of speakers..probalby klipsch RF-52s or used RF-15 or RF-35.  or something in that general size.

I will also add a center.

I have an OLD Klipsch SW-8 sub that I will hook up as well.

I will probably wait to add rear surrounds but will eventually add them.  

I am not an "audiophile" but I appreciate nice music and want somethign that will sounds good, thump away, and really kick butt for listening to music and movies.  

consider that right now I have nothing.. I have my SW-8 hooked up to my TV and if I listen to music off my apple TV / iPod... it si coming out of TV speakers.. it sounds like $hit.....  and I know it.

the Klipsch pro media 2.1 system hooked up to the computer in my bedroom blows away the system in my family room..that is what I am trying to reverse.. I want the system in my family room to blow away my pro media 2.1 system...

help me..  ;)

·
Registered
237 Posts
This forum is the best place to learn. If you have a question, ask it. The most important lesson I learned (the hard way) is that you should put more money into speakers than into a receiver. Aperion will be my next speakers. The big thing for them with me is that they make great stuff but I'm biased; they're a short bike ride away from my house.

Four big names in receivers are Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer and Yamaha. There are other brands but those 4 are the ones that I see most often. Denon has a huge following here. The support you can get on the Denon forums from BatPig and JDSmoothie is legendary, way better than any dealer or manufacturer can give you.

Don't be afraid to order off the web but be sure who you're buying from is an authorized dealer. eBay sellers tend to have great prices but often are not authorized dealers so warranty becomes an issue. Authorized online dealers don't post their best price online; instead, you have to pick up the telephone and call them.

As for a receiver, figure out what you need. Me, I need a 7.1 receiver that offers A/B switching (between the living room and dining room) and a separate zone 2 (for the deck). Pioneer offers those features at what appears to be the lowest price point. Their newest models now equalize the subwoofer, a very nice plus.

Anyway, I read a ton here and it steered me to read other things. I'm no expert but have a lot more confidence and I can (I think anyway) talk intelligently about this stuff.

·
Registered
865 Posts
The Sony receivers are pretty feature-rich and usually have the most current bells and whistles. My only caution would be it's lack of 7.1 outputs. This seems to be a trend in the industry. You won't find the outputs in any but the highest end of their lines. I think this is a big mistake and wouldn't buy a receiver/pre-pro without the outputs. Without them you can't upgrade your amplification for better sound or larger rooms. The Klipsch' are a good choice. I'm not a big fan of their most current lines, but love the Classic, Heritage and Reference lines. The SW8 is not a bad sub. I use one for the upper bass in my system enhanced with a Audio concepts Saturn compound sub.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjfalls  /t/1522900/is-this-costco-deal-any-good-for-a-newbie-or-is-it-crap#post_24498332

The Sony receivers are pretty feature-rich and usually have the most current bells and whistles. My only caution would be it's lack of 7.1 outputs. This seems to be a trend in the industry. You won't find the outputs in any but the highest end of their lines. I think this is a big mistake and wouldn't buy a receiver/pre-pro without the outputs. Without them you can't upgrade your amplification for better sound or larger rooms. The Klipsch' are a good choice. I'm not a big fan of their most current lines, but love the Classic, Heritage and Reference lines. The SW8 is not a bad sub. I use one for the upper bass in my system enhanced with a Audio concepts Saturn compound sub.

I wouldn't worry about the lack of pre-outs personally.

Unless he has a really large room the Sony should fill the space. And honestly, the way technology advances, who knows what new features he will want by then.

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
The particular speakers you have has no bearing on the receiver to buy. The only exception is if you want to play your system extremely loud and need a really powerful amp. Almost all receivers can play any speaker at reasonable volumes. The most important feature is the room correction software. Sony doesn't really have room correction software. They have an automated speaker setup that only sets distance and gain. It doesn't do any eq. Any receiver from Yamaha, Pioneer, or Denon would be a big improvement over Sony. Denon has audyssey which most find superior to the others. You don't need pre-outs. It's for those who want to use an external amp which you most likely would never need.

Another factor to keep in mind is new receivers have HDMI 2.0 ports. The standard for 4K televisions. You probably won't need that in the near future, but you may wish you had it when shopping for your next TV,

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
I've seen no high rate of failure complaints with the Sony receivers. It wouldn't bother me to own one. If it has the features you want and will use and it fits your budget it should be fine. Sony is, after all, the largest consumer electronics company in the world. I think they know what they are doing. Sound quality isn't an issue. All the big boys make amplifiers with inaudible noise, distortion and variance from a flat frequency response. More important is the speakers. They all have a sound quality. Choose what appeals to you.

·
Registered
6,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW  /t/1522900/is-this-costco-deal-any-good-for-a-newbie-or-is-it-crap#post_24498620

Sony is, after all, the largest consumer electronics company in the world.

In terms of revenue, Samsung is.

In terms of profitability and market cap, Apple is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts