AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Im in the process of putting together my first sound system. Someone already helped me pick out the speakers in the forum. I did not buy the receiver yet, but the speakers i was recommended was based on me getting a Denon AVR -1611

The speakers are:

Polk Monitor50 ( 2x front) 20-150watts

Cs1 Center 20-125watts

Monitor30s for the rear

Bic F12 sub or PL200

So far I only ordered the 2 monitor50s and the cs1. Im going to build it up for 5.1 in the next few weeks and then add 2 more for 7.1 down the line

Anyway, Im a total noob when it comes to the watts..etc My concern is that the Denon receiver will not be powerful enough to power all the speakers or take advantage of them. Im not looking to make my house shake, but i want to make sure im getting the right receiver. If not, can you recommend another one that will go well with my speaker setup, budget is under 400.

thanks

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Depends on your desire for SPL (sound pressure level,) speaker senstivity and distance from listening position to speakers - to name some factors.

Under $400, if buying close to list, you will get a budget model, which will play loud, but will definitely limit more power than a unit with a better power supply (which will probably be more expensive.)

Note that it takes little power to play loud. At some point your receiver will run out of power, and if you turn up the volume too much the quality of the audio will suffer. Simply reduce power. If you doubled the power, you would only gain 3 dB SPL, which is not much.

If you really want the most power for the buck, look for discounts on last years models (or even used.) But I would not worry too much about it. Plenty of people are happy with budget receivers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts