AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I purchased my first 5.1 system, I had a VERY challenging room. I literally auditioned about 12 different center speakers before I found the one that worked the best. My system is only for movies and so a good center is critical. The center I purchased has now been discontinued and replaced by a new model that would not work in my set up. I can still purchase my original speaker on clearance for about half of what I paid originally. My question is whether it would be dumb to buy another center and just store it in case my current center ever fails? In other words, assuming I don't abuse my center, how likely is it that a well made speaker will just die or fail one day? THANKS. By the way, I purposely did not mention the brand and make of my speaker as i didn't want to start a debate on why other speakers I could buy would be better.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
If this is a new hobby for you then I would say no. You'll eventually get upgradeitis and want to improve on what you have. If audio/video isn't an addiction, then ya, i'd buy another one if you're worried about it breaking. Speakers rarely break unless you abuse them.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool /forum/post/20767712

If this is a new hobby for you then I would say no. You'll eventually get upgradeitis and want to improve on what you have. If audio/video isn't an addiction, then ya, i'd buy another one if you're worried about it breaking. Speakers rarely break unless you abuse them.

This x1000. You're gonna get upgradeitis so no.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Your center speaker might very well have issues if it "works" in a bad set up where 12 others did not. Not saying it does, but this situation doesn't sound right at all.

Save the dough, don't buy another center. Going through 12 centers doesn't point to a "magic bullet" speaker, IMO. It sounds like you have room/speaker set up issues.

Ask questions and educate yourself, your difficult room can be overcome.

·
Registered
730 Posts
And to further muddy the waters....Yes, go ahead and grab one
. I mean, if it's a great speaker (in your mind) and is hard to get, sure, grab an extra. I won't even try to get into your head as to whether or not you're a miser, just thrifty, overly anal or just plain smart
. My biggest warning would be this; if this center has foam surrounds...all bets are off. This means, your current center should last approx between 10-15yrs before needing re-foaming. Maybe longer. However, if your speaker employs rubber butyl surrounds you'll be fine.

And more seriously: If you think you can or will "blow" this speaker, go ahead and grab another. But if this is not the case, then listen to the other advice offered; you'll probably upgrade before any of this stuff happens...so screw it
. And fwiw, I'm not much different from you in trying to capitalize on a value, and I am every and all things I described in my first paragraph, at one time or another
. My wife is worse. Much worse. You should see my garage, attic and basement; filled with after Christmas, after Easter, etc., sale price items. Yeah, they were a fantastic value. However, having space in your home has a value that is hard to place a monetary value on

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67 /forum/post/20768359

Your center speaker might very well have issues if it "works" in a bad set up where 12 others did not. Not saying it does, but this situation doesn't sound right at all.

Save the dough, don't buy another center. Going through 12 centers doesn't point to a "magic bullet" speaker, IMO. It sounds like you have room/speaker set up issues.

Ask questions and educate yourself, your difficult room can be overcome.

You are right that my room is difficult. It has 20 foot ceilings and 2 open walls and is a pretty large room with the main seating area about 13 feet from the tv. To make matters worse, my center has to be on a shelf inside the tv stand (and because of this the center could not be any higher than 7 inches). I found that most centers I tried just didn't sound full enough and/or had a little echo to them. I am very happy to finally have found a center that sounds real good.

Now before people tell me I need to move my center or treat my room, let me tell you that the WAF will not allow it. Thus, I am back to my original dilemma as ro whether I buy a spare center, knowing my center will be very difficult to replace if it breaks.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieRob /forum/post/20772024

You are right that my room is difficult. It has 20 foot ceilings and 2 open walls and is a pretty large room with the main seating area about 13 feet from the tv. To make matters worse, my center has to be on a shelf inside the tv stand (and because of this the center could not be any higher than 7 inches). I found that most centers I tried just didn't sound full enough and/or had a little echo to them. I am very happy to finally have found a center that sounds real good.

Now before people tell me I need to move my center or treat my room, let me tell you that the WAF will not allow it. Thus, I am back to my original dilemma as ro whether I buy a spare center, knowing my center will be very difficult to replace if it breaks.

Nope, don't buy another. When/if it fails, you can't replace it due to a lack of options, so that will mean you'll have to get a bigger TV stand or whatever in order to upgrade to a bigger and better center.

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
If it fails it would likely be the tweeter. I usualy buy spare drivers just in case. I do push my systems hard. My past NHT systems would inevitably burn a tweeter up from abuse. It's easy to replace a driver.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.