AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seems like an awfully good price for this set. BTW, how much is the matching stand?

For some reason, I can't correctly post the link. The item number is 3050208250.

·
Registered
280 Posts
That is a phenominal deal. To be honest, there is no real way of knowing. The only way is to check his feedback and for a transaction like this I would NEVER send a check or money order. Always pay with some sort of PayPal of BidPay so that you have some sort of insurance.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
iBleedGarnet,

I've purchased many items on Ebay over the years, and my best guess is that this is legit. The Seller is a "Power Seller" w/over 300 feedbacks, and only 3 negatives. I've read the feedbacks, and think these people will deliver as promised. You can also call them direct, and pay by credit card as well as use the "Buy It Now" Feature on the auction. Extended warranties can be purchased separately from an independent source or directly through Sony.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
ibleed,

One more note...the S&H is $200.00, and this does not include the optional stand, which the Buyer may or may not sell. Add all this up, and you may be able to come pretty close to this total elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
The same seller list the set separately with shipping for $119 more so it seems either it is the same set or the seller is trying to get rid of this particular unit, which doesn't mean it's bad but may not be good. I would

not pay with any thing other then a Credit Card if and that is a big if I was

willing to take a chance. As long as they will guaranty that the unit is brand new and never has been opened (on paper) I would also ask if

this is their only unit, maybe it is a one shot deal. You have to ask your self

what is the best price you can get the unit from someplace else and is

the difference worth any problems you may come up against.

After checking a little more I would pass. It is to much money to spend with

out having any place to turn if something is not right. my 2cents

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't trust this and here is why:

"In order to protect your information, credit card sales will be handled by phone, just supply a 'daytime' phone number, and we will call you. Will only accept "e" payments if you understand that we can not ship until your payment is in our account . Not as fast an most customers expect!"

That's total BS. E-payment is fast enough. So instead of using a trusted intermediary to handle the payment, they are asking them to call YOU (notice not calling them) and YOU will give them over all your credit card to a complete stranger over the phone and then have them ship to you. You don't get their name, you don't get their address, you don't get ANY verifiable information. Anyone who tries to "make things easier" 9 times out of 10 is not legit. This isn't a $25 item, where the fees would be prohibitive. This is a $2000+ 200 lb. piece of equipment. This REEKS of scam.

I would always be wary if it sounds too good to be true. The first thing an unreputable seller will do is try and take payment out of any official like paypal or credit cards and move it to a wire transfer or personal check. The SECOND they do this, run don't walk away from the sale.

Also, just because someone is a power seller doesn't mean that someone hasn't hacked their account to try and sell a bunch of in demand items and then diappear into the shadows.

I hate to sound alarmist, but it's very easy to be seduced by something that sounds too good to be true. Always follow official channels and you should be safe. Never go the easy route.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
There are some valid points to your argument, the only reason I am skeptical

is after reading a number of the Sellers feedbacks it seems this person is

somewhat legit. Selling many different types of electronic items mostly

computer stuff, so I am not really doubting that this person may be buying and selling all kinds of stuff maybe making some money, nothings wrong

with that. It is like you have said it is a 200 lb 2k TV in this regard i would not take the chance. As far as CC purchases it would not matter to me

how they process the charge, as long as I used a good CC Amex, Citi Visa

or such if I don't get my merchandise they don't get paid. I think in a case like this I would even (if I were to take the chance) tell the CC company before I maid the purchase what was going on, I've done that before. Something like I'm buying for the first time and I just want to let you guys know I am a little concerned about this purchase. They make enough money on interest and fees I just cover my end. All in all I think it's

not the type of thing I would risk, to many headaches not enough savings.

·
Registered
45 Posts
DNINE, that is a very good point. Once you use your credit card for a purchase you are generally protected if anything bad happens. I guess my fear was more that the person, once getting your CC# could make many unauthorized purchases before you noticed.

That being said, you are right, it could also be someone who while not "reputable" is legitimate, much like the electronic guys in NYC who sell things on the cheap.

It's almost always better to er on the side of caution with large purchases. Don't let the allure of saving $100-200 bucks sway you into the hands of an unsavory character. I would just buy it at a Sony certified (or else you lose out on the warranty) reputable dealer.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I agree w/you guys. Although I've bought many items on Ebay, this type of item should be purchased from a reputable dealer. As Dnine noted, the savings is not that much anyway, and the potential hassel could turn out to be a nightmare. There's enough people on this forum that have had problems w/getting their TV's fixed thru so-called reputable dealers.

·
Registered
57 Posts
DO NOT BUY IT. Having you give your CC# over the phone to fulfill a transaction is bad enough! This is almost bad as the numerous sellers I've dealt with who insist on only using Western Union for the 'deals' they sell on eBay. If possible, ask him if he would be willing to use Escrow.com. That usually gives a better idea if they're legit or not. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
So most of us agree this isn't such a good idea (what happened to iBleedGarnet) and we know all the really bad things that can happen when

something looks to good to be true. Then why do these guys continue to

con people out of their money? Easy greed, these guys and gals do this

day in day out they know what they are doing, it is that little voice inside

that says I'm smarter then this guy I won't become a victim. It is much more then knowing what to do or how to pay or what CC we use. Once you

think you can out smart these guys it is over they win. This sale could be totally legit but I keep seeing these 60 inch Plasma's on e-bay for around 2k

not everyone who falls for those cons is naive it's like the article says

some people go back for seconds.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Right, I don't think these people are naive, but I do think there is a combination of people thinking that it just *might* be legitimate, and a sense of getting a good deal where others are paying a ton. If someone was selling new Denon DVD-1600s for $150 shipped, there would be a lot on this forum who might go for it, just because it sounds such a good deal.

Ebay scammers have a good feel on the pulse of the buying community. The deals are almost always something that is the "new hotness" rather than "old and busted." :)

They lure you with something that everyone is considering buying with price that are too good to be true. The Apple community is a prime target. www.macintouch.com has a whole page dedicated to online fraud.

( http://www.macintouch.com/fraudreports8.html )

Some people don't go into this naively, they simply believe that it's such a good deal that how can they NOT go for it, and that somehow they will be able to sniff out a con and bail out in time.

Quote:
Originally posted by DNINE
not everyone who falls for those cons is naive it's like the article says

some people go back for seconds.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
You want to know what would be an ideal scenario is if the original person

who started the thread is part of these types of cons. I am not saying this is true at all so no offense intended, just trying to make a point

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Dnine,

That's an angle I'd hadn't even considered. Good point, to be sure. I can tell you I've gotten some great deals on Ebay, but right now I'm having a problem w/a particular Seller, so it isn't perfect. I've never purchased anything on Ebay over $400, and don't think I'd ever try to buy a TV in this manner. Too much can go wrong w/this kind of deal. Again, go to a reputable dealer, and for myself, I prefer Circuit City w/the 5-Year Extended Warranty. Just my take on it.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
cajieboy

Yeah I know what you mean the only problem is the CC's and such don't sell everything we wan't. Hopefully you can resolve your e-deal without to much stress. It can't be all bad with e-bay if it is I think were in the wrong

field.--- I think e-bay stock doubled in the last year

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just to erase any doubt, check my feedback. My user name is palmetto_gamecock. Also, I've got a similar post in the plasma forum about pre-approved bidder auctions. I've posted some of the responses from fraudulent sellers. Regards, iBG

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.