AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a new room and will be using an acoustically transparent 140"w 2.37 screen. Ideally I'd like to place the L, C, and R mains (Triad Gold LCR) all behind the screen - as opposed to having the L and R outside the screen (but still behind the screen wall). See the attached view of the 3D model showing the screen wall.

However I'm concern that there may not be quite enough separation between the 3 speakers. With all three speakers behind the screen that means there will be about 4' of separation between the L and C, and C and R, and about 9.5' between the L and R. My main listening position is front and center, 12.5' from the screen and speakers. There will also be another row about 6' behind this row, however I really only care about optimizing things for the front center seat. ;)

The measured angle between the seated position and the L speaker is 21.6 degrees, and same for the R speaker. From the reading I've done, it seems the recommendation is 22-30 degrees of separation to each speaker, so it seems I am within the tolerance (just barely).

Another reason I don't want to put the L and R outside of the screen is because I watch a lot of 16:9 material, much more so than 2.35. As it is, the L and R will be fairly outside of the 16:9 screen area, potentially giving the impression that the person talking on the left side of the screen is actually outside the screen - for example. And if I move the L/R speakers outside of the screen that could create even more so of a potential issue with this. And for 2.35 material, having the speakers where they are would be perfect for voices and such of actors on the edges of the screen.

Another reason I don't want the speakers outside of the screen is that the L speaker will then be about a foot from the side wall (and I cannot shift the screen more to the right to even it out on that wall for reasons I won't go into here). Even tho it would be toed in this presence of this wall could affect the sound stage. And yet one more reason is that I don't want to give up the extra space on the outside of the screen on the right side, which will be used for something else so putting that speaker outside on the right would crimp my plans there.

So overall, there are a ton of reasons why I want the L and R behind the screen and not outside of it. I just want to make sure that in doing so there is enough separation for good quality audio. Please keep in mind in case it matters in your response that about 99% of the listening I'll be doing is from movies and gaming - almost no music listening (besides what's in movie sound tracks).

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
Another reason I don't want to put the L and R outside of the screen is because I watch a lot of 16:9 material, much more so than 2.35. As it is, the L and R will be fairly outside of the 16:9 screen area, potentially giving the impression that the person talking on the left side of the screen is actually outside the screen - for example.
Don't worry about it. So long as you're watching the screen your visual cues will over-ride your audio cues and the sound will seem to be coming from the screen. Besides, engineers don't hard pan voices. If a character is well off to the side the voice might be panned somewhat, but the bulk of the content will still come from the center. Usually the only sounds that are fully panned left or right are from off-screen sources.

Another reason I don't want the speakers outside of the screen is that the L speaker will then be about a foot from the side wall (and I cannot shift the screen more to the right to even it out on that wall for reasons I won't go into here). Even tho it would be toed in this presence of this wall could affect the sound stage.
My L/R touch the sidewalls, with no issues. Toe'd in, of course.

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't worry about it. So long as you're watching the screen your visual cues will over-ride your audio cues and the sound will seem to be coming from the screen. Besides, engineers don't hard pan voices. If a character is well off to the side the voice might be panned somewhat, but the bulk of the content will still come from the center. Usually the only sounds that are fully panned left or right are from off-screen sources.

My L/R touch the sidewalls, with no issues. Toe'd in, of course.
Thanks. Is there any truth to this generally recommendation of 22-30 degrees from your nose to the L and nose to the R?

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'd put them all behind the screen as the screen will effect the high frequency of the center vs the L/R. If they are all behind the screen they will all be the same. The Equilateral triangle is good if you can get it but a bit off won't mess with it much.

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts