AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently seen an ad for a RTV 4508 that is not functioning. The seller wants $70 or best offer for it. The description says that all of the front lights come on and stay on, but the screen is blank. No messages, etc. Just a black screen.

Should I go for this and try to see if I can get it to work? A working 4508 for $70 would be great, but I'm on a tight budget (hence even considering this vs. a new unit), and I'd hate to blow the money. If there is a greater than 75% chance that I could get this to work by simply re-imaging the HD or something else like that, then I'd probably go for it.

Just thought I'd look for some advice here...

Thanks,

Alex

·
Registered
427 Posts
I cannot comment on the probability of getting the hardware to function, but you need to be aware that unless the previous owner paid for lifetime activation, you will still need to pay the 9.95 a month or 250 for lifetime to get the unit to be able to operate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm certainly aware of the subscription fee, but thank you for the reminder. And while I understand that nobody will be able to guarantee that an easy fix will be found, I was hoping for some guidance on possible causes of a blank screen on start-up issue. If it is most likely a motherboard problem, then I will continue saving my money and look for another opportunity.

What I was really hoping for was someone else who has seen these symptoms (lights come on, but just a blank screen on start-up) and has fixed the unit. Then I would feel a little more comfortable proceeding with the purchase.

Thank you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
This could be something as simple as a bad cable from the replaytv to the tv. If the hard drive is OK then at least you get a 80gb for $70

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
It's probably a defective motherboard or power supply. If its the former only replay can fix it. If it's the later it's almost as bad. As best I know no one has sourced replacement power supplies for 4500 series.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.