AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This full-page ad appeared in the Kansas City Star today. It appears to offer an unspecified NTIA-approved CECB (with analog passthrough) for RENT.

The details are under the "How to get Miricle ClearVision TV free" headline near the bottom of the page. $58 "refundable deposit" for the first six months "free," then $3/mo thereafter.

Personally, I think this is about as low as you can go.

Brad

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, the file was too big and didn't upload. I'll try again with a "Cliff's Notes" version in a few minutes.

Brad

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I'll try again: Here's the "meat" of the ad.

BTW, the headline at the top of the page (not shown here) says, "$990 million Gov't handout saves public from paying for expensive digital TV's."

Here's the first two paragraphs of the "article" :

"The U.S. Government is doling out $990 million so everyone can have free digital TV.

Uncle Sam is actually helping everyone get a special new TV box that automatically receives free over-the-air channels. And now thanks to Universal TechTronics, the government red tape is eliminated and the TV box is delivered right to your front door."

Converter Box.pdf 331.0244140625k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
The BBB finally made a national warning about the earlier ad, maybe they are trying a new loophole. Still preying on naive viewers worried their tv will "stop working" as the NTIA so sloppily put it.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradtothebone /forum/post/14261870

"The U.S. Government is doling out $990 million so everyone can have free digital TV.

Uncle Sam is actually helping everyone get a special new TV box that automatically receives free over-the-air channels. And now thanks to Universal TechTronics, the government red tape is eliminated and the TV box is delivered right to your front door."

Notice the language is aimed at the elderly who hold on to their self-sufficiency, often recoiling at a notion of being on the "government dole" even when government is "helping everyone;" whereas Universal TechTronics is a noble operation because "government red tape is eliminated and "the TV box is delivered right to your front door." Wow! what a great service, it doesn't get any better than that. Does the ad caution customers "don't tell your State Attorney General or consumer advocacy organization about us?"

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AND......Your "free" OTA digital TV will only cost you $3.00/mo.....FOREVER!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexus2108 /forum/post/14278994

send this to the NTIA I think they will do something

One of the local TV stations started the ball rolling on this over the weekend. We'll see what happens.

Brad

·
Banned
397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradtothebone /forum/post/14261796

The details are under the "How to get Miricle ClearVision TV free" headline near the bottom of the page. $58 "refundable deposit" for the first six months "free," then $3/mo thereafter.

Lots of place rent furniture and appliances, and while it may seem a waste of money to us, it's not illegal to do so.

I can easily envision an instance where, if I was out-of-town on business, I might need to rent furniture and appliances to fill a temporary apartment. And of course I would also need to rent a DTV tuner box.

·
Registered
108 Posts

Quote:
Is this Fraud, or just Dishonest?

I'd put it as a very bad deal, but not fraud or dishonest. Because it's not illegal to rent things like TVs and such, they are renting converter boxes. However, after 20 months at $3 per month, you have paid the $60 for the box. (Plus the "deposit".)

Bob Diaz

1 - 12 of 12 Posts